Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking about visiting the area, but I cannot find any detailed information or good detailed maps. Any advice ? Have you been to Lamoille canyon ? Is it worth driving from California ? I am thinking about staying in Elko with my wife for two or three nights are driving around to get some scenic views.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
I usually never look at this area of the forum. Just started looking at it this weekend. I live about 25 miles from Lamoille Canyon. It is an extremely nice area to visit. They still have not gotten the snow completly removed as yet but will by the end of the week. The area has a number of nice areas to see but to be honest, right now is not that great. The snow pack is exteme and a lot of areas are either snowbound or mudbound. But the lakes are full and things are green that are not covered with snow. Let me know when you are thinking of being in the area and I might be able to show you around or point you in the right direction. I will look for some links also and send them your way.
http://forum.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopic ... ght=comode
This post I made shows the conditions as of a week ago. It's my brothers Trooper.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks a lot for the information ! I hope it will be clear of snow by 4th of July.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
4th of July is not a problem at all. Make sure you get some reservations for a hotel. It's the weekend of the National Basque Festival and perhaps something else too. I know of a couple of other spots that are fun and within a hundred miles or less for a day trip or something.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'll know my schedule in a week. Then I can reserve the hotel room. Thanks for the advise !

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hessmess said:
I know of a couple of other spots that are fun and within a hundred miles or less for a day trip or something.
Hundred miles may be too much, I am looking to easy short drives around the town. My wife is pregnant, she does not want any realy strenuous activity.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
OK.
Lamoille Canyon is all paved so no problems there. If she can take some decent gravel roads there is another spot on down the mountains called Soldier Canyon. Then loop on the Secret Pass back on pavement and back to Elko on Pavement. Easy run really and there can be some mild 4 wheeling on Secret Pass. Spruce Mountain is another neat spot but its about 75 miles of pavement then decent gravel/dirt roads. It's an old mining area and lots of structures there. I have some pictures in my online photo album. I have not spent enought time there and there are some old building that I have yet to find. North of Elko it is about 60 miles until it gets interesting. When you have dates firmed up I will give you my phone number and we can talk more.
Dick
My album link, a few pictures of other places also.
http://s763.photobucket.com/home/elkoisuzu/index

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK, thank you.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OK, thank you.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I am checking the national forest web site, and they report that the canyon is still under snow :( sounds like it is not gonna melt away this year :(

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Well there is some snow, but the canyon is completly open for camping, the weekend after the 4th my brother had a big camp out with his kids/grandkids and had a great time. The did a little hiking up the trails and yes there was some snow still on the trails and some of the high mountain lakes are still frozen. But for driving and some mild hiking you will not be disapointed. It is in the mid 90's this week and wait for it.... maybe 15% humidity! Love the high desert!

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
OK, great. I'll be planning the trip on Labor Day, probably...

Thanks !

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
My daughter is getting married September 3rd in the little town of Lamoille, NV. It is just down the mountain from the canyon. They have a beautiful picnic area called the Lamoille Grove. Maybe I will see you. If you do come to the area, PM me your cell number and maybe we will be able to meet up.
Dick

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
hessmess said:
If you do come to the area, PM me your cell number and maybe we will be able to meet up.
Surely, I will. Thanks !
Oleg

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I sent a PM to you, Dick.

Regards,
Oleg

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
I just checked my messages and I have nothing, it did not come through, and it is Monday at 5 PM

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
hessmess said:
I just checked my messages and I have nothing, it did not come through, and it is Monday at 5 PM
OK... I am sending again... the new interface is confusing me. I submitted the message - but it stays in "outbox" not in "sent". Hopefully it will be delivered.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts