Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1. I have a question on how long it usually takes to install new rear struts and springs.
2. do i need to get an alignment if i install eom 913 springs inplace of my stock springs in the rear and adjust nothing else.

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
1. We dont have rear struts, just shock abosorbers and seperate coil spings.
2. No.

Install time varies. I did mine in less than 2 hours. But I have NO rust.
The top of the shock absorber mount can rust through and you cant take it off.
A few members had to use something to cut it off, or just break it.
So spraying the bolts with PB blaster a few days in advance may help.

Id say to reserve at least 4-6 hours. You never know what problems may come up.
Its murphys law, and it always seems to be true. But luckily for me it didnt happen when I did my springs and shocks.
Everything went smooth. It was one of the few projects that I have done without any problems.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
dae,
Thanks for the info. How did you compress the spring to take it out? I hav one of those vices from harbor freight that is use on my strut spring assemblies for my fiero and camry or did you use one of those that only connects to the sides? My car was in hawaii and now in cali so no rust since it is in a dry place now.

"my cars crosed the pacific twice too" LOL

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
mmeyer86gt said:
"my cars crosed the pacific twice too" LOL
Sweet! another island Zu :D

I actually didn't use any spring compressors, but I am sure they wouldnt hurt anything.
I unbolted everything rear axle related and just raised the truck up as high as it could go and set it on jackstands.
The wheels, axles, etc.. stayed on the ground. And I simply just slid the old coils right out.
The OME's are a little taller, so it took a little persuading to get them in. Your spring compressor might help in that situation.

·
Registered
160 Posts
i used a 6 foot jack all on the trailer hitch and unbolted everything. The rear axle drops down far enough that you can remove it. Remember to throw some jack stands under the body so it doesnt fall on you and die. The limiting factors for the drop of the axle is the sway bar links and the shocks. Once those are off, it'll drop like a rock. You'll want to stick a jack under the axle prior to dropping it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So if i undo the sway bar link and strut on one side it should give me enough space to get the old spring out and the new one in? do it side to side and not all at once?

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
The strut you are referring to is called a shock. Yeah, take the shocks off and remove the sway bar link, lower the axle slowly and the springs will fall out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts