Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had the chance to get a brand new one for around $35 including shipping. I knew it is rated for only 50lbs. But I wanted to see it in reality to check it how it is made.
Where does the limitation of 50 lb come from? Just from the plastic parts?
The landing pads and the towers are made of plastic. But the brackets that go into the original holes on the Trooper under this rubber stripe are made from metal.

I just wonder if these brackets are sturdy enough. They are only 1/16 to 2/16 of an inch thick. Has anybody tried that so far?

To get some more load capacity I am thinking of taking these metal brackets put the standard landing pads and towers with round bars from Yakima on top of it.
These landing pads from Yakima.
http://www.rack-it.com/store/multi-purp ... c_271.html

I am just not sure if the holes fit. But they look similar to the ones of the Trooper rack. But that I could check at the local REI store that carries a huge Yakima selection.

I do not want to mount a basket. I only need it to mount a roof box for the long vacation trips and for the occasional trips to the hardware store. But 50 lb is not enough. And I just like the way that the landing pads could stay on the truck and the rack be taken off.

Currently I use a Thule set (400 series) that goes into the door openings plus the sturdy bars.

Thanks
Stefan

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have the factory Yakima rack on my '98 Trooper. I've used to to carry my canoe (in high winds) with no issues. I've also cared lumber and other stuff on it to the point where I've put a slight dent in the roof where the mount attaches to the roof. Net is the rack should carry much more than 50 lbs with no trouble assuming you have the same factory rack that came on the '98 Trooper.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.