Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to have my shop put a new timing belt on my trooper. They tried to tell me it was an interference engine but after enough research I feel its a non-interference. However, I read the service techs notes and he wrote "broke timing belt and cams locked in head". What should I do? Is the engine screwed or will a new timing belt fix that???

Please help!!!

·
Premium Member
5,577 Posts
It's a non-interference engine. The warning is probably because you also have timing chains (I think - some of the late model V6s had chains - and I think that the 3.5 did). Anyway, there is a small chain in each head that connects the two camshafts. If that locks up you'd have a problem.

Replace the belt and tensioner and drive on :)

-Tad

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The tech took me in the back to look at it and they said that one of the cams is locked in the head and it won't turn. Its on the right side, the left still turns. It looks like the timing belt broke because the rubber is kind of shrewded in a spot. And they said it needed oil. Help??? Is it something major?

·
Registered
7,209 Posts
Well the next step would be to ask them what needs to be done to get it running. And what that would cost? I would think you could get it running for not too much. I'd say they could get the cam out and fix the bearings.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
gjackson710 said:
And they said it needed oil. Help??? Is it something major?
if they said it needed oil it then sounds like the classic spun rod (or was it bearing?) on the passenager side; that happens when the truck is severly (like it lost 3 quarts) low on oil. Time for a rebuild.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.