Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wondering if anyone has used a bit more 'advanced' way to estimate the condition of the frame when it comes to rust. There are some devices available for rent as well I believe... something like this one :
http://www.lemag.de/cygnus4.0.html
Looking forward to hear from anyone who did it

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
You have to be careful using one of those. Some you will need bare steel, some will read through whatever coating you have.

They are very accurate so long as you are looking for an average thickness. It's not good looking for pin holes.

We used those all the time when we were looking for pipeline problems, and good pipe to tie back into after a cut out.

Joe

·
Registered
555 Posts
zorang said:
I am wondering if anyone has used a bit more 'advanced' way to estimate the condition of the frame when it comes to rust. There are some devices available for rent as well I believe... something like this one :
http://www.lemag.de/cygnus4.0.html
Looking forward to hear from anyone who did it
The only issue I can see is cost. I dont know how much its going to be to rent one. What I do is take a rock hammer. I tap on the frame with the pointy end. You have to make a judgement call,but you can tap reasonably hard on a good piece of steel frame and it feels solid. If you get a dent or it it makes a hole,or it just does not feel solid,like there is a lot of deflection when you hit,its too thin. One think that sounds good is that its ultrasonic. What that means is that even if there is a thick layer of rust on the other side,it will have a different density and present a different impedance to the acoustic waves so they should reflect off the boundary between good metal and scaly rust and give you an accurate measurement. (At least that sounds good in theory)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
this is what i started doing ( small hammer )
it is not easy to acces top part of the frame and I am still 'thinking' should i attempt to at least raise the body a bit in order to have better access
I am also trying to find out how much i would pay for renting one of these devices which can read through coating and hopefully through rust :)
our trucks here in canada do not have an easy life... too much salt and too long winters
I sold my Rodeo 1995 recently but it has been coated every year and the frame was still rock solid after all these years. Sold it to a young couple, they drove it to BC west coast to spend summer there planting trees... the latest news i got is that Rodeo has been running as a charm.. now i am sort of wondering did i do smart thing when i purchased this 1993 Trooper and sold my Rodeo ... but I always wanted to get myself a nice old Trooper with 3.2 engine because the same engine in my Rodeo served me really well ..... I guess I will find out in the next few weeks when I finish my 'rust investigation'... :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts