Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anyone know off hand the diameter of the 2.6 valves or the 2.3? I picked up a head from a 2.3 at the local yard and was going to have it machined to put in the bigger 2.6 valves in it but it appears some one else got to it before me so i just need sizes to double check before i rip it appart and send it in to be cleaned up

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
2.3: int. 1.663" ex. 1.413"
2.6: int. 1.736" ex. 1.458"

·
Registered
546 Posts
Was the 2.3 head an intentional purchase? You are going to get a BIG increase in compression ratio by using the 2.3 head on an early 2.6. Not to mention that even with the larger valves the 2.6 head intake ports have a larger volume vs the 2.0/2.3.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yes the 2.3 head was intentional i want a high comp 2.6 and i'm planning on p&ping the ports so i'll have them taken out to the size of the 2.6

·
Registered
546 Posts
I see. You could have also went out and bought a 93+ 2.6 head, which actually has a smaller chamber than the 2.0/2.3 head if i remember right.

In any case, the valves should fit, but you might want to have them reshape the chambers a bit to unshroud the valves.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok thank you i did not know the 93+ heads were higher comp too, if this one has any issues when i take it in i'll go down and pull a rodeo head to use

·
Registered
546 Posts
No problem. 1993 is the first year they introduced the redesigned combustion chambers and pistons. They reduced the combustion chamber size from around 74cc down to 58cc (rounded numbers, and subject to a small ammount of error). Inversely the dish volume of the pistons increased from about 7cc to 16cc's and the crown design was changed as well as valve reliefs being added to the pistons. The 1995-97 heads also have no air injection ports on the exhaust side of the head.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
do you know what vehicles the later 4ze1 motors came in? like the 1995-1997 models?

·
Registered
546 Posts
The Rodeo had the 2.6 available up to 1997. The Pups had them up to 1995, both with or without the air injection. You can hit up Car-part.com to try and find one near you. They always have a few listed.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thank you, and btw mad props on your Impulse that is one sweet looking ride

·
Registered
546 Posts
No problem, and thanks. Although, at the moment it doesn't look very sweet lol. It's about 70% disassembled. If i removed the interior and electrical systems from the car it would more or less be a shell.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.