Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just found out recently about isuzu trucks and never knew they were good for offroading. I am needing to purchase a vehicle by next week and it is between a 91' trooper or a 98 jeep cherokee.
I am from the US if it makes any difference. The questions are how easy are these troopers to maintain. This is an old one with a recent tune up, has a leak either from the oil pan gasket or main rear seal which can easily be fixed. Other things are the check engine light is on (would this be major, lady was told they come on for no reason on the old troopers) and the speedometer isnt working (is this an easy fix). Mainly this truck I can get for around 1300-1500 and would it be worth getting. It road great just those few things found. Also the interior was a bit beat up and old, can I find good replacements for these. I am traveling 1000 miles next friday to new york, I am thinking it could make it no problem but are these easy to maintain and fix up.
Thanks,

·
Registered
7,538 Posts
is it the GM v6 or the Isuzu 4 cylinder 2.6L motor? the v6 has a metal black round air cleaner on top, the 4 cylinder has a round black air cleaner (plastic) by the driver side headlight. Check engine lights DONT just go on for no reason.....something is off, or not working. thats a total BS statement. Speedo could be the drive gear inside the trans (sometimes a PIA to get the speedo gear unit off the trans), the cable could be snapped or the speedo unit on the dash could be broke or CABLE DISCONNECTED on the back of the cluster piece. either motor is good, the V6 has the same HP as the 4 banger but more torque. with no rust the truck as you describe it is about 1k-1300 tops..personally i wouldnt drive a truck i just got 1000 miles without knowing all its issues. where are you located and how many miles are on the truck? is it a manual or automatic? is it a LS model? or base? 2 dr or 4 ....more info would be great, or pics...
good luck
Ron

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Its an LS with the v6. I am located in GA and traveling to upstate NY. I do not believe there was any rust.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts