Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
91 troop 2.8L v6 Auto

Every once in a while i have to pump the gas to getta start...

Did this last year but thought it was only when it got real hot, now it does it after 10mins of driving and stopping.

Would it be the fuel pump??? If so anybody know of any decent, but cheap ones??

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
mhtat87 said:
91 troop 2.8L v6 Auto

Every once in a while i have to pump the gas to getta start...

Did this last year but thought it was only when it got real hot, now it does it after 10mins of driving and stopping.

Would it be the fuel pump??? If so anybody know of any decent, but cheap ones??
I don't know the answer to the above question
but when it comes to replacing the fuel pump, take it from me, Bosch or oem only
unless you want to swap it out in a couple months.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Are you "pumping the gas" before you crank, or while you crank? And, how many times?

Does it then fire up smartly or does it chugitty-chug faster and faster till it clears itself?

·
Registered
160 Posts
walbro makes good fuel pumps as well, but i dont think thats your issue. Probably some dirty sensors.

·
Registered
5,980 Posts
Sounds like you have lost fuel tank pressure or your pump is going out. I have a small hole in my filler tube and I have no pressure in the tank. If I pump the pedal before I turn the key it starts up MUCH quicker than if I did not pump it.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hey guys.....

so i found out what could be good news because fuel pumps are EXPENSIVE and a pain to replace.....

I dont HAVE to pump the gas....which makes sense because the truck is fuel injected when u hit the gas all that does is let in air.....

Im pretty confident its one of 2 of my sensors....All i need now is a manual anybody know where to get one?...none of my local parts stores carrys it

·
Registered
17 Posts
I just had a problem on my car, I had to pump the throttle to start it after it was warm. When it was cold it started right up. It turned out to be the fuel pressure regulator diaphragm had failed.

When I turned the engine off all of the built up fuel pressure would vent into the intake manifold through the vacuum line that controls the regulator. This was making it run rich. I had to pump the throttle to clear all the accumulated gas out of the intake manifold.

The Fuel Pressure Regulator is $30 or $60 for the 2 offered at RockAuto.

Hope you get it figured out.

Rod

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
It could also be a relay...Heres how the fuel pump of a 2.8 works

When ignition switch is turned on, the ECM will activate the fuel pump relay and will run the fuel pump. The fuel pump will operate for as long as the engine is cranking or running and the ECM is receiving ignition references pulses. If there are no references pulses, the ECM will shut off the fuel pump within 2 seconds after the ignition is turned on. Should the fuel pump relay or the 12-volt relay from the ECM fail, the fuel pump will run through the oil pressure switch, which will activate the backup relay circuit. Oil pressure must reach 4 PSI before the backup relay is activated

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.