Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick question, how in the h#$$ do you get to the electrical contacts on the starter of the 3.2L V6 engine?!?!?! I've taken the exhaust pipe loose and moved it out of the way and took the two starter mounting bolts out, but I STILL cannot even see where the wires bolt to it. I can feel one, but not the other and I don't even seem to have room to rotate it really.

But after taking a break from it, it occurred to me. Since I'm taking the motor out anyway, do I really NEED to disconnect the wires? The reason I'm wondering is that if those wires are a part of the harness that stays in the truck, then I'll just leave the whole damned thing in place. If they're a part of the harness that comes out on the engine, then I'll need to disconnect them.

I'm at the point where I only need to unbolt the bellhousing, pop the throwout bearing loose, unbolt the engine mounts, and pull the sucker out. That is, depending on this start thing. *sigh* gotta love working on cars!

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
When I R&R'd my alt (92 3.2L sohc) I jacked up passenger side, pulled tire, pulled inner mud guard. At this point remove ground wire of the harness from frame rail, remove pos(+) feed from batt, & pull mounting bolts. Now slide alt out past shock tower, you should be able to get the wire plug off the alt now (the plug is not bolted in).

~psguardian

EDIT: all of this AFTER you've pulled the battery connections lol.

·
Registered
11,467 Posts
Go in through the wheel well. The sheet metal of the inner fender where the starter is, is pretty thin. I bent mine to give me more room to work between the body and frame. Still not the easiest but at least more accessible.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.