Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The title says most of it. While dealing with all of this machine shop b.s. I've pretty much got the old 3.2L ready to come out but I don't know what's easier/best: leave the tranny in or drop the tranny too?

I'll have the block back this afternoon (fingers crossed) and start assembling the engine tonight and tomorrow.

·
Registered
50 Posts
If it is 2 wheel drive, it is easier to bolt the motor in with the tranny out and then stab the tranny after the motor is in. You need a 3 to 4 foot half inch drive extention and wabble socket to reach the top bellhousing bolts.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well it's a 4 wheel drive Amigo, would that advice still apply?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Only if the transfer case and trans can be removed in two seperate pieces. Are you doing this on your back or do you have a lift and trans jack? If you dont have a lift, you need someone to operate the hoist and floor jack while you guide the motor onto the input shaft of the trans. As far as I can tell, the trans and transfer case are one unrt. Better to leave it in unless you have the proper equipment.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't have a lift so this will be done on the garage floor. I have a trans cradle and strap for the floor jack though. So I'll probably just leave the tranny in then. Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
5,980 Posts
Is it a auto? If so take the transfer case off first. I can be done fairly easily with the transmission still in the car. That will make the trans shorter and less wider.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.