Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted up an ad in the classifieds for a guy that I met while retrieving an ARB bumper for TrooperChris. The guy was having trouble with his trooper and wanted to sell it as needing a new transmission and the motor is bad (smokes a lot). Chris got the front bumper and a few weeks later, the guy called him back saying he wanted to sell it to Chris and made him an offer. We decided to go halfzies on it because we could both use some parts. We were told the tires and wheels wouldn't go with it since his friend wanted them for a chevy or something.

We took our trusty trooper tow bar up and an extra set of tires this past Saturday to drag it home. We were hoping to get the car stripped of parts over the weekend, offer everything up on here and then scrap the remaining carcass. Neither one of us need an extra vehicle and the parts were a good deal. Turns out the trooper tow bar that we built for his 3rd gen didn't fit this '95 Limited. We were stumped. What do we do now? Walk away? I asked the guy how it was driving when he parked it. "it would drive, but then the trans would mess up and start flashing its lights and slipping and bucking, every now and then the motor would blow huge clouds of smoke out of the tail pipe." I asked if it would make the 40 miles back to Chattanooga and he said, probably if you take it slow. Well, he had already taken the battery out, so we went to find a battery. Put it in and swapped the tires...

I drove the damned thing home!

While I was driving, the actions he described occured and at first I was afraid I would have the truck stuck on the side of the mountain we had to cross. But as it kept happening I was noticing that all the gages were acting funny when it would happen. The airbag light would light up, the speedometer would jump, and most importantly- THE VOLTMETER PEGGED OUT. About 10 minutes into the drive, I knew we had to change the alternator and the transmission would probably be ok.

But what about the engine? I left Chris in a cloud of smoke on the interstate once we got back to town- every time I turned left... Turns out the P/S line has a break in it and was leaking P/S fluid on the exhaust manifold, causing crazy smoke screen out the back.

But what was the real kicker? Getting it home and going through all the paperwork, only to find the Advanced Autoparts receipt from the Alternator from a few years back WITH A LIMITED LIFETIME WARRANTY! I threw it up on the lift and wrestled that thing out (still hot), took it to advanced and they said it was bad and the new one would be here in the morning. Chris installed it on Sunday and its running fine.

So now I have to fix the P/S pump and find tires/wheels for it and we will be joint owners in a 1995 Limited Trooper with 188k and lots of goodies (2-3" lift, spacers, HD torsions, rock sliders, Yakima basket...etc...). Not exactly sure what to do with it....

·
Registered
734 Posts
Yeah, that's the idea...use some of the parts and then give it a good home! It is in very good shape and honestly, if I didnt like my 97 as much as I do, I might keep this one!

We'll get some pictures up soon! Along with some parts that we aren't keeping

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
Hmmm... This seems like a nice Trooper for what I am looking for :wink:

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
triggerhappy said:
damn. i was trying to work out a deal with this guy right after he sold the front bumper but he scared me pretty good with the list of things it was doing. oh well, glad you guys got it.
well now I wish I hadn't posted the CL ad for those wheels! did you get them?

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Nice score man!!

Sometimes you guys kill me with the deals you stumble across... :lol:

Congrats!!

·
Registered
734 Posts
It's all about being in the right place at the right time! We are gonna try to sell it for a really good price! Anyone looking for a "new" trooper? It's in fantastic shape!!

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
TrooperChris said:
It's all about being in the right place at the right time! We are gonna try to sell it for a really good price! Anyone looking for a "new" trooper? It's in fantastic shape!!
YA i would love to throw that 3.2 into one of my first gens but you guys are a bit far from me

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Metal88 said:
TrooperChris said:
YA i would love to throw that 3.2 into one of my first gens but you guys are a bit far from me
Too good of shape to make it a donor car!

Looks funny with my VX wheels/tires on it with the lift!

Bumper to come!

It has one!

Trans cooler, little wipers

Pretty wood

the only bad spot on the whole interior! but I have an extra piece of leather from another grey trooper seat lower half!

and a sunroof that I have yet to figure out.

Delifting is coming soon.

I have been looking at the local requirements to register the troop and it looks like $37 in sales tax (if I get the P.O. to sign a piece of paper- otherwise it will be taxed at much higher rate) and another $27 for registration + a $10 inspection fee. so for $74 I could get it titled in my name and be legal to drive it on the roads... but I'd have to then figure out tires. Or I could keep the title unsigned from where the P.O. left it wide open except for his signature... what to do...what to do...

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
Me Likes!!!! :twisted:

Looks really nice!

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Bansil said:
RACE TRUCK :twisted:
Already taken care of:

Racing it next weekend! Time endurance rally racing. Your time gets multiplied by a factor for the older vehicles so we are taking a '32 Ford Pickup with overdrive. We got second last year in '67 so this should really help out.

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
We busted our tails this past weekend.

TrooperChris got in town friday night at around 10:30. We got to tearing it apart for the springs and LSD, HD sway bars, etc... We got all of that out of this trooper friday night. I got home around 3am. We woke up and pulled the 3rd member off of his trooper, swapped in the LSD, put the springs and HD rear sway bar on before I had to be at a wedding at 4 on Saturday(left the garage at 3:20 and still made it and clean too!) He had a wedding to go to at 6. We both got through around the same time and started on the front end parts swap. Got the rear end of this trooper buttoned up and backed out, his trooper on the lift and tried to pull his front torsion bars and sway bar. The sway bar was a real PITA and Uhaul had mounted a transmission cooler under the sway bar and through the front skid plate so we had lots of obstacles. Finally got that undone and put the HD parts on. Backed it out and put this trooper back on the lift to put his stock torsion bars back in it (it was riding on the bump stops). Threw those back in and it was back to stock in about 27 hours (including sleep time and two weddings!).

It was an exhausting day, but we accomplished what we set out to do. A few more things to finish and it should be good to go!

On a side note, I visited a friend down on the boulevard and he said that early chevy truck wheels would work (the ones with the large hub). So we rode down to his warehouse and pulled out a set. He just gave them to me (score!) but when I got home, I tried them on my VX and the center hub was still a wee bit too small. So I went to pull-a-part Sunday and scored a set of black steel wheels with 31x10.50x15s on them. All the isuzu wheels were gone so I searched a few other vehicles and there weren't any matching sets... until I saw the tires in the back of a Montero. I pulled the black and balding steelies out of the back and hauled them to the cashier- $59.xx out the door. (I checked them on a trooper in the yard first). Then I went a pulled stuff off of a toyota for my other brother in law's buggy, more isuzu parts for this trooper (sway bar links-since the boots were torn) and....a round headlight grill and lights and wires and screws- Perfect shape! No broken tabs. The only thing is that it doesn't have an Isuzu badge on it. I don't even have a 1st gen... yet!

Great weekend. I'll post pictures soon.

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
that wood grain trim would look good in my trooper..... :idea:

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Got the power steering leak stopped. Turns out the switch was leaking slowly. I pulled the fan shroud and fan, took the hose off and removed the 'T' from the bracket. After looking online ($123.00) and checking with Jerry (new parts are high!!), I found one at a local junkyard for $10. I had to pull it in the mosquito infested swamp that the donor was wedged into. I got it installed and filled up this evening and took it for a quick ride. The truck runs great and no noticeable leaks. I am going to wash the underside tomorrow so that I can observe it.

Also put a bumper on it. The truck is really starting to come together. I am taking it tomorrow morning to get it inspected so that I can title and register it. Cross your fingers that I don't get zapped by the stupid emissions "tax"...

Thats a wheelbarrow full of dirt left over from my July front yard excavation... why is it that when you dig a hole and fill it back in, you end up with more dirt than you started with?!?!? I guess I'll wait till the fill reaches compaction and spread it again... too many projects in the driveway!!!

·
Registered
7,284 Posts
N law said:
why is it that when you dig a hole and fill it back in, you end up with more dirt than you started with?!?!? I guess I'll wait till the fill reaches compaction and spread it again... too many projects in the driveway!!!
I can't remember which is which, but the old folks used to know that if you dug a hole during the full moon, or during no moon, when you filled it back up, there would be too much dirt.

And versey-visey, not enough during the other 'phase'.

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well, I've been tinkering off and on with it and finally got everything working and put back together. It has turned out to be a very nice vehicle and I've been driving it the last few days.

Since the last time I posted:
I have gotten a set of tires/wheels installed.
I got a front end alignment to fix everything after we dropped it back to stock.
I went to replace the LR door lock mechanism only to find out it was missing. I put the "new" one in and got it wired up... who takes a door lock motor?!?!?
I fixed the sunroof! The trick I read on here about dropping the headliner and pulling the grey box and re-soldering the "dull" connection- WORKS!!!
I broke the power antenna off at the car wash and then the motor wouldn't stop running... so I pulled a solid mount antenna off a junker and mounted it up.

It was nice driving in to work this morning with the seat heaters on 8)

I've got my eye on another project so I'm thinking this one might have to go soon.

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
SOLD! (a.k.a. WINNING!!!)

Whats better than a $400 trooper? CASH!!!

Had it in the front yard with a for sale sign on it. Lots of traffic, no takers. A hispanic guy calls me and wants to see it AT 7AM before work...ugh, he has cash, so OK. Shows up, drives it, I thought he stole it, but he comes back. Says he has to get the money out of the bank and we'd meet after work, turns out he doesn't have it like he said he would. Tells me to sell if anyone wants it and he'd try to round up the money. Calls me thursday and says he has the money, then asks if I'd take $100 less, since he couldn't get ALL of the money... I said no and he somehow finds it. Shows up that evening and didn't even notice that I had torched the sliders off between the first time he saw it and the second time :D All in all, it was fun owning a trooper and I'd consider doing it again. For the mean time, I think TrooperChris and I need to focus on our main vehicles. He has a 3.4 to build and I have a VX that loves to be loved.

So... thats what to do with it: Flip it! (no Cronk, not like that...)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts