Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there!
I found the ProComp drivinglight´s at Independent 4x, and I´m wondering if anyone here knows anything about them? They look good, and as far as I know, they can´t be bought here in Sweden.
I want at least 3 x 100w round bulbs in the front, and 4 x 55w mounted on the roof. You see, anyday now the winter comes with few hours of daylight and lots of 4-leggers on the roads... I currently have 2 Hella 55w in the front, but they just dont do the trick. Also, I would like the lights to not only light up, but look good to!

So, if you have any opinions on this brand, let me know! How do they stand the cold, are they long lasting (quality-wise), how is the light spreading a.s.o.

Thanks!

/Magnus

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
I'm running a set of the 5" 55w Pro Comp lights. For the price, I'm very pleased with them. They come in both driving and spot lens paterns. Mine are the driving version, which produces a wider beam. The lights do not come with any wiring or switches, so that will be up to you. There are many after market lighting switch kits available. I only use them off-road, but so far, they have performed well.

HIH,
Andre

·
Registered
59 Posts
Try these guys in the UK if you need a supplier, bit closer than the USA!http://www.explorerprocomp.com/acc_lightbars.php I've not used them myself but I have an old set of Ring Phazars with 100 watt bulbs on the front bumper (very bright) and am hatching plans for some roof mounted lights, what are you planning on mounting them on up there out of interest?

I also have a set of four chrome Hella Jumbo 220's waiting to go on the roll bar on my Chevy, these are vey nice lights.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank´s for your help.
I´m mot sure wether it´s cheaper to buy it from directly from the US, or to buy from a dealer in europe. I was earlier looking for a Calmini suspensionkit for my Frontera, and the price in the UK was extremely high. So i´m not sure, but of course it´s worth checking out!

I havent realy decided how to mount the rooflight yet, but I guess the best way is to attach them to either a safarirack or to ordinary roofbars like Thule. I also have thought of drill holes directly to the hardtop. Since I never take it of anyway, it wouldn´t matter. But I´m not sure of that.. After all, once such a thing is don, it can´t be undone.
Maybe you have some ideas...?

/Magnus

·
Registered
59 Posts
Yeah the Calmini stuff is pretty pricey here as is stuff like Safari Snorkels which I'd like to fit to my 91 Trooper. Not much of a market in the UK for Isuzu performance/off-road gear as it's so Landrover biased here, it may work out cheaper to buy from the US as the dollar is still fairly weak as well compared to the pound/Euro/Kroner

I may use an odd old roof bar I have kicking around but I have seen on Landrovers a bar that seems to bolt into the rain gutters and curves across the front just above the windscreen. I need to look at some bits of tube and see if I can work something out. I'd like to keep them low down as I do carry stuff on the roof like ladders and timber etc at times so would have to be able to remove them if they stick up higher than my normal roof bars. I don't want to spend a load of money so ideally want to use something I've already got or fabricate something.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I´ts the same thing in Sweden. The Calmini stuff can be bought here aswell, but they are way too expensive!

I was thinking something like this roofbar to mount the light to:
http://photobucket.com/albums/b25/swede ... _small.jpg

It´s slim and it is not too high. If I put this bar as far forward as it goes on my originalbars ( http://photobucket.com/albums/b25/swede ... 0_1869.jpg ), I think it would be good enough. I was also thinking about mounting to 55w working lights in the rear as reverse/working light. Either I mount those on the rear roofbar or directly to the hardtop.

Another alternative is to mount the lights on to a rack like this one: http://photobucket.com/albums/b25/swede ... =thule.jpg But then again, I´m not made of money...

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have an old 55w spotlight mounted above the rear numberplate on the small rear door of my trooper as a reversing/work light, not pretty but it does the job.

·
Registered
59 Posts
This is the kind of bar I was thinking off, just bolts through the rain gutter. Can't be difficult to make with a tube bender and welder to add some brackets for the lights. Not sure if the discovery has the same width roof as the trooper but these guys would probably custom make one to fit,. http://www.greenlane4x4.co.uk/

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That one was realy cool!! I like the shape of it. Unfortunatly my sunroof does not allow it, but maybe it could be mounted behind where the hardtop begins...? But as I said, I realy like the idea. It kind of looks like how I was thinking of mounting them on a safarirack.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.