Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just had a dealer charge me $500 to replace a starter. Does that sound right to any of you Isuzu Techs? Charged me 1 hr labor for diagnosis, and 1 hr for replacement. I expected it to be expensive, but for a starter that seems a little excessive.

Also, can somebody tell me if G-sensor (at gas tank) replacement is covered in the Haynes manual? The dealer quoted me $75 + $73 labor to replace it. Anybody got a part # for the sensor?

·
Registered
192 Posts
BW said:
I just had a dealer charge me $500 to replace a starter. Does that sound right to any of you Isuzu Techs? Charged me 1 hr labor for diagnosis, and 1 hr for replacement. I expected it to be expensive, but for a starter that seems a little excessive.

Also, can somebody tell me if G-sensor (at gas tank) replacement is covered in the Haynes manual? The dealer quoted me $75 + $73 labor to replace it. Anybody got a part # for the sensor?
1 hour of dealer "labor" is 83/hr for me here in NY! :shock: So whatever the G-sensor is, as long as they are quoting a flat rate, I would get it done as if you had to replace it yourself, does that mean dropping the tank? If you have the tools already, sure you will save money, but sometimes your free time is worth more than the savings on doing your own repair.

Being a new Dad, I like to keep my free time for my boy! :)

Good Luck,
Con

·
Registered
591 Posts
I've replaced as many as 4 "remanufactured" starters in a year on one vehicle. Never again will I buy an autozone/advance auto/pepboys- type starter. Same goes with alternators. $500 for a starter you'll never again have to worry about isn't all that bad. Especially since they had to yank part of the exhaust to replace it!
G/luck
Joel

·
Registered
123 Posts
Howdy. Hey guys. There is a company out there called "mean green" that makes super high quality alternators and gear-reduction starters. 4wheelers have been using them for years. Not sure if there are Isuzu applications, but maybe someone else knows?? If they do exist, I would recommend them.

Also, if your stater is in close proximity to an exhaust pipe, particularly if you run headers, invest $20 in a heat shield or wrap for your starter. This will greatly increase its life span.

-Kevin

·
Premium Member
5,577 Posts
BW said:
It isn't *that* bad of a price. I paid almost $400 recently. $200 for the part, and $200 for labor. One piece of the exhaust has to be removed, or the engine has to be "moved" for the starter to come out. I looked at it and puzzled, and then decided to let someone with a lift do it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
First...did you get a check engine light and an OBD II code of P1393?
Don't pull the fuse to reset the computer ...but in general resetting the computer doesn't solve the problem and the computer just relearns the same problem.
I just had to deal with this problem. the good news it is much easier than you've been told...save $75.
The g-sensor does cost ~$75 from Isuzuparts.com and the dealer...no way around that.
But replacing it is a piece of cake.
There are only two bolts and a pigtail connection. To keep from frying that part though...make sure you disconnect the battery first.
Disconnect the pigtail and the two bolts...then the reverse for install. Incidentally, disconnecting the battery will reset the computer.

·
Registered
45 Posts
It cost me $85 in labor to have my old starter removed and a new one installed at an independent mechanics. I don't know what the alternator cost because he convinced the PepBoys people to give him a new one even though I didn't have a receipt for the old one. I ended up having a "World Class Brand" with a lifetime warranty -- but Pep Boys didn't have any of those, so they gave me a free Bosch. It worked out nicely.

It's an easy job, which is why I took it to a shop. The exhaust pipe has to be taken apart, and in my case they had to cut the pipe and weld it back together to get to the starter. It's a 2 - 3 hour job for an experienced person.

You should find a good independent mechanic to take care of your basic stuff like this. I don't mean to insult anyone here (especially you wonderful Isuzu techs that work for dealerships -- and help me and everyone else with their difficult problems) but dealerships charge too much for their labor and parts! $80 dollars an hour for labor?? And the tech gets what -- $20 to $30/hr of that AND many of them have to supply their own tools! The dealer pockets much of that extra $50 to $60 labor charge as pure profit. An independent shop will charge you about $40 - $50 an hour in labor. They have lower overhead costs and can do all the basic maintenance.

OEM dealership parts will kill you with their price! Power steering hose: Isuzu dealership $198 -- Advance Auto Parts $38. That's just one little example. I had to pay $12 for the o-ring on the oil cooler at the dealership!

Now, when you have a severe problem that requires Isuzu expertise, then by all means get to a dealership -- they can work wonders and they really know the vehicles inside and out. But if you're looking to save money you need to find the good independent shop.

**And please, keep our Isuzu techs employed!**

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.