Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been wanting to do this for awhile. Let's have a thread of pretty Zoo motors. Catch them all in one place before they get dirty again. I was thinking out of the truck on the stand if possible but underhood spruce ups are cool too. Old pics are cool too. As some cool motors have already been back in service or are no longer in service(Vince let's see that hot rod trooper motor). Greasmonkey I want your's in here too. Let's hit hard with 2.6s.

'88 2.6 86k miles on untouched short block at time of pics.
Isuzu #5 head with 3 angle valve job
delta 260 cam (want a calmini)
empie elephants foot valve adjusters
Flow matched stock injectors
K+N drop in filter
calmini header
2.5 SS exhaust with SS flex, SS high flow cat, to SS rod shop muffler
2.25 to rod shop resonator, 2.25 SS tailpipe
Centerforce dual friction clutch

·
Registered
612 Posts
You asked for it..

Dirty.

1988 2.6 liter
milled 6 casting head
decked block
.020 over pistons
new crank (old one destroyed by lack of thrust washers)
Delta cam, retimed
Pacesetter header
2.25" exhaust; Magnaflow cat, Hooker MaxFlow muffler
MSD wires
Centerforce dual friction clutch
2 core radiator

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
2.6s represent! lol. 8)

(Thanks for the heads up Mark! :wink: )

.030 overbore
Ported and matched intake
Ported, matched and polished exhaust
High compression late model head
Block blanchard ground and decked .030 down
Total compression ratio around 13-1
Pacesetter header
Polished plenum, valve cover and other dress-up doodads.

·
Registered
11,705 Posts
Hope everyone participates in this. Makes a great pictorial archive for those of us who don't know what we're looking at.

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
2.8s, 3.2s, 3.4s, 3.5s. Pony up! I know there are some others out there that want to show off what they've done. I remember a certain real pretty 2.8 in a prerunner pup.

·
Registered
292 Posts
This was last year.....boy I wish she still looked like this! Time to get out the toothbrush and cleaner again. :wink:

My 3.2L SOHC with 133K on the clock:

And Greasemonkey, that 2.6 is cherry! Well done!

·
Registered
989 Posts
oh how i would love to completely rebuild and customize my motor, hope its not needed though cuz shes my only one, those motors look really good, and done right

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
next time i take out my motor(hopefully not soon) ill make sure to make it look pretty :lol:

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This is a bump to get some more people posting up their pretty motors. Winter maint time is coming clean 'em up and post 'em up!

·
Registered
809 Posts
2.8s dont ever need to come out!

Nor do they ever need to look pretty.

Some nice 2.6s in here

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just a bump. Lot's of people are building motors let's see some pics here!

·
Registered
11,705 Posts
Sweet pics of the 4ZD1 of bigpetey:

Checkout the carb, fpr, and fuel pressure gauge. Very clean.

Sweet little Weber.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
I replaced the head at about 148k miles, but was still struggling with the Trooper's lack of power and oil consumption. When I did the head, I noticed that the pistons were marked 0.50 -indicating the had been replaced. So I did the compression check and they were all down. :cry:
Dry #1 #2 #3 #4
. 100 132 128 130
Wet
. 112 151 148 148

So I made sure there was room on the plastic, shopped around for a decent source, and put the order in for a rebuilt motor -kahching! (www.hiperformer.com)

Motor came quickly and I began the process of pulling the old one and cleaning up all the mounts, brackets, fittings, nuts and bolts. Scrubbing them in a tub, mostly using bristle brushes and WD40 and lots of rags. Then repainting the pieces black or silver. Sprayed the engine block with hi-temp Chevy orange engine enamel, and then started the re-assembly process. Lots of ziplock baggies with labels and lots of digi pics made the job much less stressful (crutches for a failing memory). Got new hoses from Jerry (JLEMOND) and new belts and waterpump from napa. I had dropped the transmission since I was going to replace the clutch anyway. Used a 2x6 and ratchet strap to support the rear of the engine until I got the transmission back in (only supporting about 30-40 lbs since most of the weight is on the motor mounts).

Out with the old ... really helps to have the transmission and radiator out, and the hood off.

Assembled new motor ready to reinstall. All kinds of brackets, hoses, mounts, supports, fittings, wires, etc.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
shooter said:
Sweet pics of the 4ZD1 of bigpetey:

Checkout the carb, fpr, and fuel pressure gauge. Very clean.

Sweet little Weber.
hmmm i want to color match my motor to my car

·
Registered
131 Posts
The 'zoo engine I find pretty and want so bad, especially since the Japanese version of my Amigo has is available. The 3.1l diesel 4JG2-t:

But for a 'zoo engine that is very nice and the prettiest of the lineup right now, I would consider the 6.6 turbo diesel 8GF1 Duramax 6600:

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Nice job MarkB.NV. I have a question. Does your oil pressure sender have that little extension between the sender and the oil filter adapter? It came up in another thread the other day. Can't remember which one. Your sender looks closer to the block than mine.

You have some very nice reference shots there showing oil pressure switch and sender ect. Bright lights and color. Makes these things show up. That's part of why I started this thread.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
You mean the gauge sender gizmo? Can't see it in first pic, but I just reused the original sender and brass fitting on the OEM filter bracket. You can see the grease covered unit in the 2nd pic - the before photo. I'm getting better at taking lotsa pics when I do these things -sometimes I still don't have enough, but having them really helps find my way around. I'm a very visual person.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts