Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
Very nice. I like those cabinets you have lined up in your garage too. I gotta do something with the disaster area I have going on. Plenty of space but no cabinets or shelves so everything just piles up everywhere.

·
Registered
9,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
stusvend said:
Very nice. I like those cabinets you have lined up in your garage too. I gotta do something with the disaster area I have going on. Plenty of space but no cabinets or shelves so everything just piles up everywhere.
Yeah, they're just Home Depot ones. I had to put them together but they are decent. I wish I could afford some metal ones but....the only problem with cabinets, is they tend to get filled up quick and you end up using them to "hide the mess" so to speak. So basically, you get the mess of the floor and work bench, but you end up with a mess in the cabinets! LOL. I cleaned mine out recently and got them all organized again.

Bart

·
Registered
11,705 Posts
Oh my. That is mighty nice.

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
nfpgasmask said:
stusvend said:
Yeah, they're just Home Depot ones. I had to put them together but they are decent. I wish I could afford some metal ones but....the only problem with cabinets, is they tend to get filled up quick and you end up using them to "hide the mess" so to speak. So basically, you get the mess of the floor and work bench, but you end up with a mess in the cabinets! LOL. I cleaned mine out recently and got them all organized again.

Bart
If it makes my wife happier about then sounds good.

·
Registered
7,284 Posts
Can I borrow your garage for a couple years ?

If you could have it up here, at the top end of my driveway, by the end of the week, that would be really cool.

:wink: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
9,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Selador said:
Can I borrow your garage for a couple years ?

If you could have it up here, at the top end of my driveway, by the end of the week, that would be really cool.

:wink: :lol: :lol:
LOL. You know, there were many a ruffled feathers over my garage when we started house shopping. The wife would go online and talk to realtors and then be like, "ok, here are the four houses we are going to see." I would then look them over and say, "nope, its only a 2 car garage". Then I would get this look from her: :evil: She would say things like, "you just want a giant garage with a bedroom attached". And I would say, "basically, yeah" :D In the end though, we found a house with a 3 car tandem garage and I love it....but now I want a detached out building with 6 12' rollups and room for a full shop and storage. :)

Bart

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
Beautiful! How about adding the pics here as well.
viewtopic.php?t=32581
Same for anybody else building motors now. I know there are a couple. Single point of drool :lol:
Tell me about that motor. I'm not up much on the car engines but the family resemblance to our favorite 2.6 is undeniable. I can see why some Impulse guys have just switched their turbo stuff onto a 2.6 block.

·
Registered
9,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
squatch said:
Beautiful! How about adding the pics here as well.
viewtopic.php?t=32581
Same for anybody else building motors now. I know there are a couple. Single point of drool :lol:
Tell me about that motor. I'm not up much on the car engines but the family resemblance to our favorite 2.6 is undeniable. I can see why some Impulse guys have just switched their turbo stuff onto a 2.6 block.
You know, I am probably not a good person to answer that question, only because my Trooper is the 2.8 V6, and I have actually no experience working on the 2.6. However, I have seen enough of them at Pick & Pull to see the resemblance. I actually think the valve cover is identical, and the head is obviously a very, very similar casting. I know the upper timing covers are the same, as well as a bunch of other under the hood bits. I think the 2.6 is almost a direct swap into these old Impulses, and a good option as a lot of the parts are scarce if not completely obselete. This particular car I bought from the original owner. The car lived out west its whole life, it has zero rust, and it was running good when I tore it down. The reason I started this project was because the car was leaking fluid from just about everywhere, and I think the previous owner must have let the car sit to long and the coolant turned to peanut butter. My temp guage started acting really weird and so I figured the stat was sticking. So that is how it all got started. Little did I know I would uncover some other problems along the way, namely the coolant feed and oil drainback from the turbo were completely clogged SOLID. I'm sure the turbo was running hot and not to its fullest capacity. I think if I would have ignored the problem I probably would have blown the head gasket and burned up the motor bad. The machine shop told me there was nothing outta spec when they rebuilt it and that everything looked good and clean. So, if I can manage to get this car running again, she is going to be pretty much "new". I can't wait. I bet she will SCREAM on the highway. I have a remaned turbo ready to install and just about every single bit I could clean or replace has been addressed.

Full thread and lots more pics here for those interested:

http://www.isuzone.org/forums/showthread.php?t=22593

Bart

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
Wow Bart! That is one beautiful engine! And the garage just makes me drool. My garage is supposed to be a 2 car but I can only get the Trooper in there, barely. The Pup fits but you have to open the garage door to walk around it. And the F150, forget it. I am not a car guy but that sure is an impressive vehicle ya got there. I still am amazed at how tidy the garage is.

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
Bart, the head and block castings look almost identical to the 2.6. I remember a while back that zucrutrooper2 posted up a link to combine the turbo stuff from those engines to a 2.6. It came from an Impulse site. Got me thinking.

The coolant issue sounds like somebody added GM dexcool to green antifreeze. If you do that they gel I'm told. I had a friend that had a goof at Jiffy lube add green to his late model GM. He ended up making them pay for having his engine pulled and the water jacket rodded and flushed. It turned his coolant to Jello.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Engine looks great man! What a time capsule you have. I'm sure it will drive like a charm once it is installed.

·
Registered
9,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
hessmess said:
Wow Bart! That is one beautiful engine! And the garage just makes me drool. My garage is supposed to be a 2 car but I can only get the Trooper in there, barely. The Pup fits but you have to open the garage door to walk around it. And the F150, forget it. I am not a car guy but that sure is an impressive vehicle ya got there. I still am amazed at how tidy the garage is.
Thanks! I take that as a real compliment since I still think it is a mess in there!! And you know, I am not a car guy either. But the Impulse is a special little piece of my Isuzu collection. I actually really like it. She's fun to drive ( :cry: I can't wait to get her back on the road) and the uber 80's nostalgic factor is just too cool, imo. Now I would love to own an 81 I-Mark Diesel fast back!!! I know, keep dreaming!

squatch said:
Bart, the head and block castings look almost identical to the 2.6. I remember a while back that zucrutrooper2 posted up a link to combine the turbo stuff from those engines to a 2.6. It came from an Impulse site. Got me thinking.
Well, I always thought the Impulse's turbo would be too small to make a difference with the 2.6, or would it actually make quite a boost? I don't know enough about turboed vehicles to be honest. I actually have two turbos for the Imp in right now, the original plus a rebuilt one in perfect shape I got on eBay a while back. So if I ever get an RS I could maybe throw the turbo in there. :)

squatch said:
The coolant issue sounds like somebody added GM dexcool to green antifreeze. If you do that they gel I'm told. I had a friend that had a goof at Jiffy lube add green to his late model GM. He ended up making them pay for having his engine pulled and the water jacket rodded and flushed. It turned his coolant to Jello.
Yeah, brown poopy Jello. :lol:

Star Blazers said:
Engine looks great man! What a time capsule you have. I'm sure it will drive like a charm once it is installed.
Man I hope so!!!

Bart

·
Registered
13,615 Posts
That just looks flat out mean !!! And your garage is like a clean room at a plant.
Do you by chance have a pic of the turbo manifold ??? I had always wanted to turbo a 2.6....
What is that engine displacement ?? 2.6 also ?

·
Registered
9,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
bradzuzu said:
That just looks flat out mean !!! And your garage is like a clean room at a plant.
Do you by chance have a pic of the turbo manifold ???
I have some anlges here:

http://blog.isuzugeek.org/2011/09/impul ... age-3.html

And some more here:

http://www.isuzone.org/forums/showthrea ... 93&page=10

http://www.isuzone.org/forums/showthrea ... 93&page=12

I'm sure it could work with the 2.6, but you would have to do some plumbing work and change some stuff out and figure out how to to get an Intercooler in there.

Bart

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Bart, you clean up pretty well for an IT guy. :thumbup:

Keep up the good work.

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
It probably is on the small side for a 2.6 but some boost is probably better than no boost. When I get a chance I'll have to search for that old post.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts