Isuzu SUV Forum banner

Powertrax No Slip

4K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  Sidewalk 
#1 ·
Howdy out there again Planeteers! I need a little input regarding a new locker for my 96 Rodeo 3.2L SOHC 4X Auto Trans, 3-1/2" susp. lift, One-Pc. Driveline, 265/75/16 (32"-33"s after re-gear), B-Stone Dueller MTs and Dana 44 r.end, (soon to be re-gearing), along with many other mods- irrelevant to this subject... I've decided to invest in a locker for my little wheeler. I've done quite a bit of research trying to determine what type of locker is right for the type of driving/wheeling I do, as well as the pros and cons attached to pretty much every locker out there. I won't bore you with the details but suffice it to say, due to a miriad of factors, I'm pretty much leaning toward the Powertrax-"No-Slip" locker. It seems to have the performance benefits I'm looking for , as well as fairly decent road manners. The PwrTrx "Lockright", as well as the Detroit Gearless, don't truly have, what I consider to be, true locker characteristics-- even though the price is hard to beat, and they are, as far as I can tell, are a step-up from limited-slip. (OOps, I just realized I AM boring you) with the details (opinions) describing why I did'nt choose the lockers I was referring to! Sorry :lol: . If you can spare the time to hear me out, I really will appreciate it!! The ARB Locker/Compresser, seems to me to be hands, down, the best of both worlds (I.E. Fully adjustable, if not for the possibility (however remote) of air-line (seal) damage & PRICE$$$!!, it seems to me, the ARB would be a no-brainer.) However, Bill Gates I aint. Nuff said-- The old trusty Detroit Locker, is obviously, another good choice, but I'm personally looking for something a little more civilized. Which brings me back to the "No-Slip." The only unknown factor for me is I, personally, have never driven a vehicle sporting one one, nor do I know anyone around here who has. I've driven trucks with ARBs, Detroits as well as OXs (my personal favorite, but again P-R-I-C-E-Y !!!)- and I don't know if they even make them for Zu's(once again I digress) SO- are there any ZuZu-ers out there who might possibly be running "No-Slips", and if so, how do you like-em'? Are you stoked with them? Drawbacks? Things you like/Don't like? I would really appreciate any and all input on this matter, as I'm gonna be installing a locker of some kind or other, in the very near future, and could really use some opinions (preferrably not along the lines of: "Dude-They're totally bitchin, or they totally suck! etc.) I am truly interested in your insight and/or experiences regarding this (or another comparable unit) Sorry about the length of this Post :wink: I just wanted to make sure I did'nt forget anything! Anyhow, big Aloha's from Hawaii-- 8)

Toddz/HI

See less See more
#3 ·
I'm running a very similar setup on my truck, and I have been comtemplating a locker. There are a few projects ahead of it, but I've been doing some research. My feeling was that since I already have the rear LSD (same as you) it would make sence to leave that, and install a locker on the front. I had looked at the ARB, which to my knowledge only makes a locker for the front of our trucks (because of the LSD). I don't know if a powertrax type locker is available for the front, or would be a good idea. It seems that anything other than a fully switchable locker on the front would be a pain on the pavement. Which is why I was leaning toward the ARB. Idealy you would end up with a locked front and a limited slip rear(one step from being fully locked!). I realize I haven't done anything but raise more questions, but It's something I've been thinking about.

Toddz, thanks for the recomendation on the ES3000's, I love em'! :D

#4 ·
Powerbrute makes a front locker that will fit the 10 bolt diff in the front. It is an LSD though, but it is a locker originally used in Isuzu's. I forget where you can find the site that they are sold but Reiderracing.com comes to mind.

The powertrax lockrite will fit also but the problem with LSD in the front is that unless you have manual hubs you will lose handling and turning radius. Also driving in snow and ice might get hairy if you need to lock up the hubs. That is the reason that i am not going with LSD in the front, if i lived in the south with no snow and ice i would personally do it.

As for the rear a factory LSD might be good for everyday driving but in off road situations the No slip is a big improvement. I will hopefully be installing mine in the very near future.

#5 ·
Powerbrute makes a front locker that will fit the 10 bolt diff in the front. It is an LSD though, but it is a locker originally used in Isuzu's. I forget where you can find the site that they are sold but Reiderracing.com comes to mind.

The powertrax lockrite will fit also but the problem with LSD in the front is that unless you have manual hubs you will lose handling and turning radius. Also driving in snow and ice might get hairy if you need to lock up the hubs. That is the reason that i am not going with LSD in the front, if i lived in the south with no snow and ice i would personally do it.

As for the rear a factory LSD might be good for everyday driving but in off road situations the No slip is a big improvement. I will hopefully be installing mine in the very near future.

#6 ·
I guess I did'nt make myself clear about where I'm going to install the locker. I plan on putting it in my REAR diff, and leaving my front open. Sorry about the miscommunication. Oh, and I do have manual locking hubz. Anyhow, same question as above. :roll:

#7 ·
I'll chime in here.

I have now an ARB locker in the front. Honestly it is the best solution, if you want more traction in the front. I used to have a powerbrute LSD up front. For the cost and aggravation to install it (it is a lot of labor to drop the front axle). The LSD did make a noticable difference, but then again mine was cheap, and I installed it myself. Having had one, I wouldn't pay to have one installed.

I've only owned a rear ARB and LSD, since I have the 12-bolt. I've driven trucks with the lockright and no-slip in the rear. Off-road they are both about the same in my opinion. On-road the no-slip has much better mannors. It has what amounts to a clutch in it to make the ratcheting action less severe, and quieter. The 4-runner I drove with the lockright felt like someone was hammering on the underside of the truck. I know that the "clicking" is normal, but I must say, it is unnerving. The no-slip was noticable because of the traction, but wasn't a bad thing to drive with. I also was able to drive Chris Perosi's 98 Amigo with a no-slip in the rear on the trail once. It felt like my ARB locker when locked - no wheel slip, just lots of traction.

-Tad

#8 ·
Alright-
Now we're getting somewhere! Thanx Tad! The comment regarding the ratcheting factor in the lockright was exactly the reason I am shying away from that type of locker, (the hard-core Detroit locker) as well as the Detroit gearless (which I assume have the same tendencies?). As to my referral to those types of lockers as being not having "true locker characteristics", I did'nt phrase that correctly :wink: (read:said the wrong thing). What I meant to say was that I was'nt interested in that type of locker basically cuz I could simply weld-up the rear diff and get pretty much the same type of performance as the Lockright. Am I correct? If so, I assume the Detroit "Gearless" operates under basically the same principle. I am looking for something with some of the more "civilized" features of a selectable locker, without taking out a loan on my house :lol: to get one! (I.E.-ARB, Compressor, install, etc...$$$)As for the ARBs-as I said before,("2 Much $$$!-Nuff sed) Truth be told, I probably , on average, go full-on wheeling, five or six times a month. That said, we have some pretty freakin' hairy trails, rocks and mud, here (and even snow a couple months a year!) at extreme elevations (13,000ft). I have, in bashing around our "Big Island", seen, on occasion, the shortcomings of my limited-slip, and am ready to go with a locker. The rest of the time, however, is spent doing the "daily-driver thang", and I just don't want the clunk-in-clunk-out & ratcheting syndrome screwing with what otherwise is my favorite time of the day! Cruising my Zu! So, Tad-you think, as a locker, the "No-Slip" is money well spent? Dig-it! If anyone else out there who has made it through this extremely long-winded post and has any other opinions, advice or experiences they would'nt mind sharing, I would really appreciate it. I only want to do this once! (for the rear at least) so any insight will definately factor in to this mod! You guys are great! And Thanx Again!! :D

P.S. Starchild- I'm stoked for ya brother!! The ES3000s are the shiznit! Once you get the bushing "alteration" :wink: sorted out, they are definately a good choice for these trux! I saw some of your picture(s) posted, and the rig looks Swweet! I take it you pinned-down that ball joint problem? Right-on Bro, Thanx and Happy Wheelin! 8)

P.S.S. Thanx Again Tad and Maineamigo for the 411! Aloha!

Toddz/Kailua- Kona, Hawaii 8)

#10 ·
Cruiserman-
I stand corrected! Please forgive my ignorance. I did'nt mean to say they were'nt lockers. I meant they did'nt have some of the favorable characteristics of selectable lockers. So what type of aftermarket locker(s) am I'm thinking of? The Detroit full lockers?

What type of lockers are the units they call "lunchbox" lockers? And is that ( the welded diff) also a poor-man's "Lunchbox Locker?" Thanx --

P.S. Do you know/ have you heard anything about the Powertrax "NO-Slip" locker, and what do you think?

Aloha-Toddz 8)

#11 ·
A lunchbox locker is a Lockright. You don't need to do gear setup to install it. It's not as strong as a full Detroit, since the Detroit comes with a carrier that is normally stronger than stock. The LR just replaces the spider gears.

A welded diff is called a Lincoln locker. It is the same as driving around town with a locked ARB.

I don't know anything about the NoSlip lockers. Comments from another website:

An Installation of the Powertrax No-Slip Traction System This is an ideal and easy way to convert an open differential into a locker. The item installs inside the carrier in the matter of about an hour. It simply takes the place of the spider gears. Remove the spider gears, install the No-Slip, and your done. The break-in period is up to 400 miles, according to Powertrax, but, during that time, no special care needs to be taken. It just may take that long before the No-Slip has had a chance to fully work itself into your system. A definite advantage over the LockRight, the No-Slip employs active spacers, which hold the locker open when it disengages. The locker opens when it detects a difference in the speed of the two wheels on the axle. The spacer holds the locker open until the speeds synchronize again, and then the locker re-engages. This prevents the 'clicking noises' associated with the LockRight and other similar 'budget' lockers. During the break in period some popping may be felt until the individual edges of the teeth are smoothed. Then the popping stops. In my own case, all popping ceased after about only 100 miles.

#12 ·
To Tad, Cruiserman, Maineamigo and Starchild-
Thanx again So much for your insight, help and advice! I was a little bewildered when facing the large assortment of (locker-related) products and options out there, to say the least. One of the things I love about this site, is people like you taking time out of your busy lives to help perfect strangers, (like myself) by passing along information like this so I (and many others) can make informed decisions regarding possible mods to our beloved Isuzus. These things we do to our trucks, (not to mention the bucks we drop) make driving, wheeling and enjoying getting out there and bashing em' with total confidence in our rigs; an experience so enjoyable, it's hard to capture in words. I just wanted to say-Mahalo Nui Loa (Thank You Very Much) from me, and some words I try to live by: Great trucks are not bought-They're Built!! Happy Wheeling!:mrgreen:

Toddz-Kailua/Kona, Hawaii 8)

#14 ·
To regain some of those lost "manners" requires a lighter foot. Go easier on the long pedal when you are going around turns will allow the locker to engage a little smoother. It more comes down to a change in driving habits more then anything else.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.