Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, here's the skinny. At about 3k rpm the power steering belt emits screeches unheard of in the mortal world. And the pump and pulley bend inward when I tighten the belt up real good. Now it was in the shop for a while and only did this after they put the engine all back together. Now my question is, how come then power steering pump would pull so much toward the crankshaft pulley when I tighten it up? And how would I go about fixing it on the cheap?

·
Registered
79 Posts
There is supposed to be a small solid spacer that ties the bracket into the head and keeps it rigid. Someone else had this same problem - I'll see if I can dig up the thread and some pics.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I tighten it down all the way I can, but it still bends forward. I'm gonna pull the pump off and remove the stud and try and reinstall it all the way into the head and see if that would be why its not cooperating.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Disreguard by last post,should of took a longer look at the pictures. sorry for the post, i see the bracket after looking at it longer.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thats not acually my engine, its a picture pulled from another board, mine actually doesn't have the engine hoist bracket on it, maybe thats part of the problem. I'll have to make another spacer and re-mount it.

·
Registered
80 Posts
i'm missing that bracket and spacer as well. luckily, it's not causing any real problems for me...yet.
they're easy to find at junkyards, but a real biatch to get to.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I ended up loosening the nut and pulling the pump off the stud, luckily I didn't need to disconnect any hoses. I discovered the pump pivots forward and backward on the stud so I just tilted it back. While trying to tighten it up I discovered the head is stripped where the stud screws in. So I stuck four washers together and hung them by a wire from the thermostat housing and wedged them in between the pump bracket and the intake manifold, keeping it from tilting back down. It's working alright so far, I need to fix the thread problem though, how's a good way I could do it while the head is still on the block?

·
Registered
416 Posts
You should install a heli-coil where that stud threads in and things should be good as new.

That is provided that you can re-tap the hole, and clean it out in whatever space you have to work in there.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Fianlly got around to fixing it a week ago. It appeared there were originally three mountings into the head and block, but someone had cut the bottom two off right above the bolts leaving the rest of the bracket still attached. But they didn't weld it back together when they put the pump back on, so its only attached with the top hole. I ended up helicoiling it, it works, but it isn't pretty.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.