Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This past weekend I noticed that there is a crack in the Power Steering Pump housing that looks like someone tightened the bolt too much. It has to be replaced. I am also going to have to do the Timing belt tensioner due to the tick that is present. I am wondering if anyone has any tips for replacing these. Should they be done at the same time since you have to pull belts. Also any what-not-to-dos would also be nice.

Thanks

·
Registered
677 Posts
You may as well change the timing belt and water pump while you're in the front of the engine changing the tensioner. I forgot what engine you said you had, but if its an dual OHC, be careful putting the timing belt back in place cause you can end up with one of the cams out of alignment with the timing marks.

This is a pretty good write up on changing the belt. It was done by someone in Australia and I noticed some differences in the engine, but it gives you a really good description of what needs doing and very detailed pictures.

http://www.datazap.net/sites/Australia4 ... p_rev3.pdf

The special bar that this guy made to loosen the crank pulley bolt is nice, but a 3 foot pipe on a breaker bar works just a good.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
3.2L V6 SOHC

Thanks a bunch for the link, that helps. I guess what I was asking for the most part was should the timing and the power steering pump be done at the same time but in that link you just sent all you have to do is loosen the belt for the power steering to do the timing so they can be done separately.

·
Registered
677 Posts
I thought you said you were going to replace the tensioner. You'll have to open the front to replace that. So while you're in there its a good idea to replace the timing belt and water pump at the same time. Everything may be fine now, but if the water pump goes in the next 6 months, you'll have to tear it all apart again and you'll be cursing yourself for not replacing it now.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We are going to have to do the timing tensioner and the power steering pump. I had planned to do the water pump while I was doing the timing tensioner. I know both are big jobs and I wanted to do them separately if I could.

·
Registered
7,284 Posts
97RodeoGirl said:
We are going to have to do the timing tensioner and the power steering pump. I had planned to do the water pump while I was doing the timing tensioner. I know both are big jobs and I wanted to do them separately if I could.
So you'll be doing the power steering pump, timing belt, and water pump all at once, right ?

While it's ok to leave the power steering pump for a separate job, it doesn't make sense to do the water pump and timing belt separately.

Also doesn't make sense to get that far, and not put a new timing belt on. Unless the one that is on there is already brand new, like mine was.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Right we have to do all of it but since we already have so much going on I wanted to get the power steering pump done and save the timing project for another day. We are in the process of redoing the front suspension breaks and rear suspension so we have a lot going on. The power steering pump is a must do right now but the timing can wait a couple of weeks.

·
Registered
7,284 Posts
97RodeoGirl said:
Right we have to do all of it but since we already have so much going on I wanted to get the power steering pump done and save the timing project for another day. We are in the process of redoing the front suspension breaks and rear suspension so we have a lot going on. The power steering pump is a must do right now but the timing can wait a couple of weeks.
Sounds like a plan !

:D :D :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts