Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the easiest way to find a power steering leak? Replaced the pump 2 years ago, seems like the fluid is evenly distributed on the steering box, hoses, etc. What a mess...

Thanks!

·
Registered
11,467 Posts
Let it warm up, spray with Gunk degreaser, wash off. Get all the fluid off of everything then keep checking as often as you can to see if you can pinpoint it. Much easier when starting without fluid already sprayed every where.

·
Registered
571 Posts
clanofwolves said:
What is the easiest way to find a power steering leak? Replaced the pump 2 years ago, seems like the fluid is evenly distributed on the steering box, hoses, etc. What a mess...

Thanks!
I've had a lot of issues with my power steering doing this. The major problem was the hose not connecting well with the pump. It would either be too lose and rattle off easily, or be too tight and pinch the seal. To pinpoint the leak clean everything good, then turn the truck on and while it's in park have someone turn the wheel repeatedly while you're observing the engine bay. This puts a lot of strain on the system and is how I was able to pinpoint my leak.

As looped pointed out Lucas oil also helps if it's a relatively small leak.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts