Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read that when towing they reccomend that you use the power mode on the A/T. They said that it increases line pressure and keeps the transmission from slipping and overheating. I may have to tow a 91 amigo home next week (225 miles) and I was wandering if I need to use the power mode on my transmission.

Thanks,

Scott

1999 amigo 3.2l A/T

·
Registered
103 Posts
It also makes the shifts firmer, which is better for the frictions in your transmission. I would recommend using power for the tow home.

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Some people like to leave it on all the time. Higher line pressures=less slipping=less friction=longer tranny life.

Joe

·
Registered
103 Posts
I don't think so, but it will not switch back to normal without pushing the button, so if you don't mind the light on the dash just turn it on and leave it on.

·
Registered
5,831 Posts
i constantly hit the button putting my coffee in the holder when i drive. does it guzzle more gas in power mode?

·
Registered
103 Posts
You will notice a drop in MPG with "Power" mode selected. Or at least that is what it states in my owners manual.

·
Registered
5,980 Posts
Ok i know this thread is like 4 years old. So leaving power mode on will not damage the tranny or engine in the long run????

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
Hell no, use it.........love it. If you don't use it, you will hurt the engine while towing because the tranny will lug the engine while trying to pull the heavy load. Bad for the trans and bad for the engine. You'll be fine using it, trust me.

·
Registered
5,475 Posts
I can't imagine *needing* power mode on flat-land without towing; unless you're running some really tall/wide tires - at least not with the 3.2L engine.

I run 32" tires with a lot of extra aftermarket accessories and can haul a 4,000lb boat on flat-land here at 6-7k feet elevation and not use the power-mode....UNLESS I'm first taking off from a light, etc. then I will.

However, if I'm hauling that boat or a load with a fully loaded truck; i.e. 4-5 passangers, couple dogs, quite a bit of gear...then I leave powermode on all the time.

If I'm towing that boat through the rocky mountains, yes, the power-mode stays on full time as well.

Only other time I use it, with the truck by itself is on 9-11,000 ft inclines in elevation........I hardly ever use it in town, even at 7,000 ft elevation, I don't find that it's actually necessary as I drive pretty slow off the line anyways.

It does use more fuel, specially if you're using it in stop/go traffic; mountain driving I don't notice a fuel difference.

Remember, when you shut the truck off, your powermode automatically goes OFF; you have to reset the switch when you restart the truck....if you're wanting the power option.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts