Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am buying a '96 Rodeo from a co-worker but it needs a passenger door mirror. It is a power mirror and the dealership quoted me $492 for the parts alone. Is this an easy DIY job? Is there an aftermarket part that is cheaper? I noticed that aftermarket has manual adjust mirrors for this vehicle for about $40. Could I just mount one of those in place of the power mirror?

She broke the mirror backing our of her garage and never bothered to replace it because she was quoted a price of $700.

·
Registered
52 Posts
you will have to have it painted because the new one will be black plastic w/o paint remove the plastic cover on the inside of the door opposite side of mirror it jus pulls off then there are three 10mm nuts holding the mirror on remove the and the mirror is off

·
Registered
192 Posts
buddy of mine had a broken power window on his Elantra. Dealer quoted after painting and install 500bucks as well. One call to http://www.allhyundaiisuzuparts.com/ and a matching used one for 140. Took about 5 minutes to install. Nuf said.

Good Luck,
Con

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It is not a painted part. The mirror is black plastic. I would like to replace it with a power mirror but I don't want to spend $500 just for the part!

Thanks for the tips. I will try the links posted.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Is it only the hinge that is broken or the entire housing? The hinge on one of mine broke and I was able to put a bolt through the hinge assembly to make it work. It's not as solid as it was, but it stays together and the fix cost me about 10 cents.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It is broken on the outside edge and the reflective part is gone. The mirror is molded black plastic-there is a hinge built into the mirror housing itself. I bought a Haynes repair manual last night and the procedure for replacing the mirror is very simple. I may call a few junk yards and see if they have one. I'm not forking over $492 for a new one that's for sure...

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, I bought the Rodeo and it is sitting in my garage with the passenger door disassembled and waiting for a mirror I have yet to find. I'm going to take the mirror with me to work tomorrow (a co-worker of mine just happens to have a 1998 Rodeo so I'm going to compare the broken mirror to hers). I also e-mailed the guy holding that e-bay auction to see if he can send more pictures.

Looking under this Rodeo it is very stout and in remarkably good condition. California cars are wonderful that way. Too bad it isn't 4x4...Oh well, maybe next time. It is leaking oil out of the valve covers (this is getting fixed on Monday) and it needs tires, shocks, brakes and an oil change (this I'm doing this weekend as long as the parts are delivered tomorrow).

Thanks everyone for the tips.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, I have a mirror. Found one at a junk yard in Los Angeles and since I happened to be going there anyway I stopped in and picked it up on the way. I also drove right past West Coast Choppers!!! I didn't know where they were located but I do now. Place was jamming with bikes, cool cars and tons of people-Jesse must have had something going on there today...maybe a new episode of Monster Garage?

I also got 4 new tires this morning and I put 4 new shocks on in the AM before I drove it down to the tire place.

The Rodeo is looking pretty good now.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.