Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody. I've been having trouble with my heater core as of late, had this mysterious leak which just wouldn't show up in any of the tests i performed on it.

Normally i'd just pitch it and get a new one, but the trouble is, these things are 'special' heater cores with a control valve built straight into the tank, and they also cost around 320-380 USD a pop, depending on who you ask.

That's probably because the only options we really have are OEM and NOS, which brings me to my main point.

I was browsing the OSC radiators website, saw they had an e-catalogue, entered in the credentials for my 1990 Trooper, and lo and behold, they had a part number for my heater core! Part number 99224, to be exact.

Now, that part didn't have any pictures, or any other information, all there was, was a model guide and a number.
But the fact that it had a number in the first place indicates to me that in one point in time, OSC radiators made an aftermarket replacement heater core for first gen. troopers, and this is where I need your help.

OSC radiators and their parent company, US motor works have not responded to a single email or online enquiry i have sent them, so i ask anybody reading this who is based in the US to please call their phone number and ask them a few questions about this heater core, part number 99224.

Ask if they're still manufacturing this part, and if they are willing to sell to end users.
If they are not willing to sell to end users, not manufacturing this part, or both, ask about minimum order quantity (if discontinued, how much would make reproduction viable) and if they would be willing to get in contact with a supplier. (JLEMOND and rockauto come to mind, i'd personally prefer jerry get his hands on these over rockauto considering how they treat their workers, but i don't know if he'll be able to front a large MOQ.)

Their website is here. Home Please get into contact with these guys, because the lack of parts for these cars is just getting absolutely ridiculous.

If all else fails, i might have to consider making a kit to adapt the heater core from another model to this one with 3d printed brackets and levers, maybe some slight modification to the new core. 1978 ford f100 is the first that comes to mind, since the core has good dimensions to fit, and has the barbs in approximately the right place to bodge in. only trouble is getting the old system working with a heater valve in the engine bay.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, i did mention it in my previous thread about my weird heater core problem, but i made this topic because i'd like to both bring attention to this, and have a proper place to put everything that relates to contacting OSC.

A cheaper alternative for new heater cores would be an absolute lifesaver for so many people who own troopers/p'ups. they're all over 30 years old now, and i'm sure many are in need of new ones right now.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Found another potential supplier. Autopart International.
showmetheparts lists it as number 2403-518195, Autopart's website is Autopart International.

I sent them an enquiry too. but i think it too might also fall through. none of these guys seem to like answering any of their emails, even though i'm offering them clear business opportunities.

Try giving them a call, too. see what you get.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Alternatively, if it really gets that desperate, i found THIS on alibaba.
Automotive radiator part Rectangle Gas Circle Home appliance

They say it's for a 1992 nissan serena, not sold in the USA. I picked nissan because they have this clever design where instead of having traditional barbs coming straight out of the tank, they instead have a couple of threaded flanges on one side which you can bolt all sorts of different barbs to, makes it easier to integrate it into multiple cars at once.
You do need to seal them with O rings that can fail, but that shouldn't be too much of a problem, since I will spec out some Viton o-rings for the task.
Shouldn't be much of a hassle to replace if they DO fail.

I was thinking about 3d printing a 'tank' that bolts on to both of those flanges, and integrates everything into that. the cover plate that bolts to the heater box, the hose barbs, the heater valve, absolutely everything to make it a true 'drop in' install.
(heater valve will have to be its own separate part, of course. shouldn't be too hard since the original valve doesn't even redirect)

(EDIT: Did some research. 3d printing has its place in short run manufacturing, but it's completely useless for parts that need to withstand constant heat and pressure. will have to get into contact with a short run injection moulding company with a design that'll be nice and cheap to produce. having to finish it myself by drilling, tapping, and installing brass inserts is much preferable to the cost of 3 part dies.)

The best part is that the dimensions are PERFECT for fitting into the old box. 167mm long, and 147.6mm tall. Only trouble is the core is only 26mm wide, wheras the original isuzu one is 45mm wide. hoping this doesn't mean this one will be less effective, since my trooper is just about the most poorly insulated car i have ever had.

This IS a more modern style of construction, though. the trooper core was like a very old fashioned radiator, a matrix of thin tubes running through cooling fins. dont know how much effect it's gonna have.

And on top of everything else, i might even be able to sell the final product for a very competitive price, especially considering the exchange rate between USD and AUD.

Do you guys have any thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
2,398 Posts
Found another potential supplier. Autopart International.
showmetheparts lists it as number 2403-518195, Autopart's website is Autopart International.

I sent them an enquiry too. but i think it too might also fall through. none of these guys seem to like answering any of their emails, even though i'm offering them clear business opportunities.

Try giving them a call, too. see what you get.
In all honesty, I don’t think manufacturing a few heater cores is much of a business oportunity for them. The problem you are going to run into is MOQs. You might have better luck getting them made in china yourself, but the MOQ is still going to be high.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah. MOQs are going to be a certainty when dealing with these suppliers. I only bring up selling to end users on the slim chance they're actually willing to do so.
that's why i want to open up a line between them and JLEMOND, or failing that, rockauto. I don't just want a single unit for myself, i'm doing this because I want every owner of every first gen isuzu trooper, p'up, or whatever else shares this core, to be able to purchase one as cheaply and easily as it would be for any other car.

I am even willing to take matters into my own hands by making retrofitting kits, if everything else fails.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
While we're at it. How many of you have had heater cores that failed at the control valve? I'm asking because it has its own special port that goes out the front to vent excess coolant if it leaks, and i'm tossing up between going through the rigors of designing a valve myself JUST to have that vent port, and simply using an off the shelf ball valve with a custom plastic lever mounted on its 'keyshaft'.

It's starting to look like the original heater core is deader than disco, so it's time to get creative. want to use as many off the shelf parts here as i possibly can to keep it at a competitive price and not drown myself in tooling/development costs.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh, to hell with this! This forum is dead and so is this car's aftermarket.

There are NO short run injection molding services i can use to prototype this, I don't have tens of thousands of dollars to spend on the long run services, Most of these cars have already long since been scrapped, so who in the world am I going to be able to sell these to, and to top it all off, the alibaba sellers think they're way too good to even reply to me.

I'll pay the exorbitant 380 US for a new core if i bloody well have to. My fault for having ambitions.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sorry, i've been having my patience tested with this heater core thing. they tell you not to count your chickens before they hatch, and they don't say it for nothing.

This place isn't 'dead' per se, but it sure feels a lot less lively than it did in the phpbb days.
I'd like to take a look into the mind of the people who thought this garbage website design was in any way better than the old one. can't keep a topic updated for more than a day or two before it gets buried now.

·
Super Moderator
2,398 Posts
I think it depends how you use it. I always check on “new”, so nothing that gets updated get buried for me.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts