Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
677 Posts
Welcome to the planet..

The rig looks nice. Now ask yourself if it will satisfy you. A 4 banger 2WD is strictly for highway use and won't be good for off road play time. Based on prices in the other corner of the country, its a little costly, but as clean as it seems to be it may be good where you're from.

FWIW, Rodeo and Passport parts may fit some things, but most Trooper parts will not fit. Troopers are a lot bigger trucks. That rig is the Rodeo's little brother so a lot of stuff will fit with no problems.

·
Registered
7,284 Posts
Sultan said:
So I have been going through this website thinking about a Rodeo or an Amigo. Amigo seem hard to find but one just popped up on CL in my area. Can you tell me if this looks like a good deal?

Thank you for your help! Rick

Sorry I don't know how to make the link work....new guy:-(

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/2440518669.html
Welcome to the Zuu.

That's a little spendy for a 99 2WD.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Welcome to the Planet!

If that is what you're looking for, then the only thing other than the price I'd wonder about is that it used to live in NY which is a salt state - check thoroughly for frame and under body rust!

·
Registered
677 Posts
NY is definitely a salt state.... so yeah, look under it really good. The frames rust from the inside out! Many a pretty zu has gone to its grave due to that rust issue.

·
Registered
877 Posts
I'd say don't get it. The 4 cylinder engines are underpowered and known for head gaskets problems. They're also interference engines, meaning if your timing belt breaks...your engine is done. By the mileage, I'd say it's due for a timing belt job if it hasn't had one already. Probably hasn't or else he would have listed it. The blue book price is around $2200 and if there's a known problem (ABS light), that should be calculated into the price. Granted, the ABS sux and more than likely it's a pulled wire, but still selling a car with a light on will affect the price. $3400 is way over priced and it's all stock.

·
Registered
12 Posts
looks good just like what johnnie59 said I would check the frame they tend to rust up faster than the body for those year model my 2000 rodeo ironman frame is already starting to rust, Minnesota winters killls so this summer time for some kbs coating but if you love it give it a test drive hit small some bumps see if it jumps around and ask the seller whats on your mind. good luck :lol:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wow great responses! The guy got back to me and I asked about the salt roads and he yes there is rust.

I would rather have an older Amigo but they are hard to find. I would also be very happy with an older Rodeo. So far I have read that pre 93 has the GM 3.1 which is no good and then I read that the one to get is the pre 93 because it has the GM 3.1. Hard to have a clear picture on which way to go. That said I don't like power windows or locks or even AC so older the better.

Thank you all for your time and input! Rick

·
Registered
677 Posts
Stay clear of the 3.1's from 98 thru 2003. Those are the ones with the problems. Pre 98 and post 2003 are fine. Those in the middle are OK provided you don't mind feeding it oil every 500 miles.

·
Registered
877 Posts

·
Registered
877 Posts
you should also search craigslist of nearby areas...
(as far as you're willing to drive for the right zu)

I saw a few and they were all under $3000[/url]

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks ZuBrew!

I have been using Search Tempest for a broader search.

I like the first one but unsure about the tan....

·
Registered
4,646 Posts

·
Registered
877 Posts
95Rodeo4x4 said:
Sultan said:
Beyond the fact that this is $1K over book what do you think of this?

http://seattle.craigslist.org/est/ctd/2435057258.html
go for it! as always try to talk them down. 4k is a little high for an assport :lol:
Just to let you know...I bought my '99 two years ago from a Honda dealer for that same price. Granted it's only a 2WD, it had lesser miles than that one and was a newer model.

Besides the front grill being pushed in, it looks great. :silent:

REMINDER: when buying from a dealer, you'll be paying taxes. I was reminded of that, besides the things the dealer didn't disclose.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Sultan said:
I would also be very happy with an older Rodeo. So far I have read that pre 93 has the GM 3.1 which is no good and then I read that the one to get is the pre 93 because it has the GM 3.1. Hard to have a clear picture on which way to go.
Treated right, the 3.1 will last forever, but the power isn't great. Lotsa torque, but the get up and go, got up and went.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
PolarStar
On an other forum I got feedback that the pre 93 were good because you could "easly" swap in bigger GM V6s. Do you have any thoughts on that?

Thanks

1 - 20 of 21 Posts