Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I've got a strange problem. My early '95 Passport is popping during acceleration. It's not consistent, and is strange in that I can feel the pop through the gas pedal. It does it more with the A/C turned on. The RPM also varies slightly when at a constant speed. I haven't seen any obvious intake leaks. I'm planning on driving up to Phoenix to tow a couple motorcycles home and really don't want to drive it that long if this is a serious problem. :(

·
Registered
7,210 Posts
Are you saying you are getting a backfire through the intake?

Or just a popping sound?

Joe

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If it is backfiring, there really doesn't seem to be a sudden hesitation to go along with it. Just a popping sound that I can feel through the gas pedal. I've checked the pedal without the engine running and there doesn't seem to be any binding. Perhaps cruise-control? I'm just guessing, as this is strange to me.

·
Registered
7,210 Posts
Is it linkage related or engine related? What I mean is, is it something just in the pedal maybe binding or something? Or does it seem to be something to do with the engine?

You said it doesn't do it with the engine off?

Joe

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This is definitely engine related. It is possible I may have figured it out though. The previous owner put a Fram locking gas cap on it. As I recall, most fuel-injected cars need a non-venting gas cap. It's very likely that I have the wrong gas cap, which I've heard others say it caused them strange problems with their cars until they went back to the original style cap. I've noticed that when I pop the cap there is no hissing from pressure being relieved, which is unusual for a fuel-injected car. Only way to find out for sure is to buy the proper cap and see. I'll post back yay or nay.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, negative on the gas cap fix. Tried to pull codes, and the Check Engine light just flashes a steady beat, no code. Doesn't help that someone cut the Data Link Connector plug off, so I had to guess which wires needed to be grounded together to get the codes. I hate shade tree mechanics that hack wiring! :evil:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.