Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:cry: i'm roughly getting 4 km to a liter( calc. w/ the error due to larger tires already), i barely step on the gas pedal, what do you think i should check with my truck? it's a 97 trooper v6 sohc with a/t, running on 265/75/16 m/t's (30 psi front/rear)

·
Registered
7,209 Posts
If I did my math right you are getting 9.4 miles to the gallon?? Wow that sucks. I'd be checking some of the typical tune up items, such as the air filter, fuel filter, spark plugs, plug wires (if applicable). Check your tire pressure. Have your alignment checked.

Has your truck ever been in a wreck? If the frame is bent and out of alignment this could cause some pretty aweful gas milage but your tires would wear very fast as well.

Joe

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks bigpop..... wheels are aligned, but the rims seemed to have a problem(cannot be balanced), i'll try to use a diff. set of wheels and rims 'coz the steering wiggles at around 70-80 kph

·
Registered
7,209 Posts
Have you performed a tune up lately?

The out of balance wheels don't have anything to do with the horrid gas milage, but your tire shop should be able to get them balanced.

Joe

·
Registered
14 Posts
I just got 12.3 mpg....I had some mixed in 4-wheeling because of the snow, I dont have a lead foot....

I have 76,000, automatic....I am just shocked right now....

Must have something to do with the 4x4, cold....

anyone else get this low in the winter?

·
Registered
7,209 Posts
There are a bookoo million reasons for low gas milage, the reforulated gas for the winter, larger tires, people who drive with a lead foot.......

There are a few things to check that are controllable, those that I listed before. That's a good starting point. When you change your plugs, look at each one of them and make sure they ar a nice even tanish color. Not black or white. If you have a plug or two that's not firing right you can get some pretty bad milage as well. Another way to check for this is to use a infared therm. You can put it on the maifold at each port and see if there is one that's not as hot as the others. That's a pretty good way of finding a dead cylinder.

Joe

·
Registered
5,831 Posts
okay, i'll bite. my milage has been pretty brutal for a while now, i get anywhere from 5 km / L to 9 km/L the 9 is only a full tank emptied on a long highway trip. the 5 is general weekday driving (highway and city)
my tires are 30 x 9.50
i have changed the fuel filter, but not the air filter. Oil concumption? my truck guzzles it like paris hilton.
i have yet to get the allignment done, i am waiting for the next oil change.
my truck has 200 000 km on it.

anyone with milage suggestions?

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
wait before your next oil change and run seafoam before you get it changed, then put a can of restore in your fresh oil. the restore keeps the oil consumption down. i use it and my 95 rodeo uses no oil. i would definately change the air filter. have you ever tried to suck on your mcdonalds cup and your straw is stuck to the bottom? this is somewhat like a dirty air filter is like. you might want to look into a cone filter. i have one and my highway mpg is up to 21 over stock 17.

·
Registered
5,831 Posts
we can't get seafoam in canada. what is it exactly? maybe there is a derivitive of it available in canada
but thanks
i will change the air filter and see what happens

·
Registered
5,831 Posts
okay, i would be lying to say i am mechanically inclined but i love a challenge. is changing an air filter complicated? (99 rodeo) and what size cone filter for 99 rodeo? 3" ? where do i get one? does that create any other problems with water crossing, snow or rain? do i need a heat shield for it? why do i ask so many questions?

·
Registered
7,209 Posts
RodeoRedbeard, if you are getting 9km/liter you are doing fine. That work out to 21 miles/gallon That's great milage. As for the 5km/liter that's to be expected if you are running a lot of short trips and city driving (stop and go)

As far as changing the air filter just lift the hood and there is a black box on the drivers side of the engine bay. There are four clips that hold the top of the air box down. Unhook those clips and pull up on the hose side of the air box. You will see the clean side of the filter. Lift the filter out and look at the bottom side of it.

My advice is to just replace this filter with a drop in K&N filter, not a cone. The only way I'd put a cone in would be to make a cold air box.

Seafoam has nothing to do with gas milage when you are using it in the crankcase (where the oil goes). This usage is to clean the oil drain holes so your engine won't burn oil.

Joe

·
Registered
91 Posts
well my Rodeo was getting horrible mileage when I got it.

I did a complete tune up (replaced all fluids, plugs, wires air filter, fuel filter, & cleaned the IAC)

found out my cat was bad so that had to go. - inflated tire to a little over max pressure (don't do that in the winter!) & replaced the wheel bearings on both front wheels. (I thought the parts guy was joking when he told me how much the inner bearing cost!)

I'm far from a mechanic as well but I leaned a lot from other members or from tech articles - look through them, it's worth it

http://planetisuzu.com/articles-all.htm ... rder=views

Will

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
1 more question..... how would i know if my engine is getting enough "spark" to the spark plugs?? and where is the pcv valve and egr on a 6vd1 engine? thanks a lot

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
if you want to get a cone, its not too hard. i just got a APC set from advance auto and put it in. all you do is just unpolt the whole thing, unhook all the connections, and pull it out. i had a lot of fun trying to get the rubber boot on the carb but i got it eventually. it moved around some so i went to a local shop and had a bracket made to hold it in place, that was only $15. if you do a lot of city driving, i wouldnt recommend this for you, the city mpg isnt too good. the highway is a great improvement over stock and it gives more power. but if you dont want to do that, just get a k&n drop in and it should be fine like Joe said.

·
Registered
101 Posts
hey guys

what do u think of this item:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... 7948178698

my mileage is miserable :x i know its winter(strangely warm though) with winter gas but darn it 10mpg city and 16mpg hwy! :evil: I did all the tune up items plugs, fuel filter, oil changes, pcv valve, xfer case and diffs fluid, techron... didnt change the air filter it looks clean... m suspecting the plugs i put in those bosch platinum 4+ and i got alot of warnings from my buddy mr Tomster :D and other members here, it would be a pity to get rid of em and hafta track down a set of denso/ngk at $12 a pop m not looking forward to that esp after just puttin in those bosches 2 months ago...

also i had some egr valve problem, CEL-p0405 i think and this other one too forgot what it was... got a new oem replacement popped it in nomore CEL (got it for only $135!!! dealer wanted $500?!?!! :shock: ) changed that out with a new gasket too but still the same stinky mileage :( although i notice one of the bolt on the egr valve is missing a washer??? could this be anything contributing to the problem? vacuum is compromise?

so my next courses of action... find the washer for the egr, seafoam the gas tank(and a bottle in the crank case run around half an hour before oilchange), put in a new air filter, if that dont work put in a cone filter kit like the above one, yank out those dam bosch 4+ plugs...

also do i need to change the fuel filter after i put the seafoam into it? prob not right? but i worry hehehe

any idea guys?

Thanks
Eric

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.