Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are you happy with your Gen I Trooper A/C?
yes, anytime541.67%
yes, keeps me cool all winter216.67%
no541.67%

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Title says it all.
We're hitting humid hundreds here, who has a cool enough Trooper? Stock, r134a, any other mods or changes?[/i]

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
I have it. The compressor works but I have leaks in the system. I suspect old and worn out o-rings but currently the belt is off of it. If my trooper were a daily, I would have already tackled that because it is very hot in TN in the summer but since it's only a part time mule, I don't worry about it.

·
Registered
458 Posts
mine is ok, but definately not sufficient enough and I have tint on all the windows including the front windshield. I have heard of an aftermarket fan that blows harder and is not as loud. My compressor is loud as hell too when I turn the ac on but its been loud since I replaced it with a new one.

·
Registered
925 Posts
not a trooper, but on my rodeo its nice. takes a few minutes to cool down, but it works, lol

·
Registered
392 Posts
The air on my trooper comes out freezing cold, but the fan is weak :/ it still keeps me cool though, but I feel sorry for the people in the back!

·
Registered
242 Posts
right now the AC on the RS doesn't AC, needs a charging.

so two windows, two wing vents and you have 105 degree wind in your face.

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
I think part of the problem is that the trooper is basically a giant green house. I mean the thing is ALL windows.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
yea Im making the A/C a priority now... its been 95-100 here in the valley...my 88 being my daily driver with no tint at the moment and black interior doesn't make me feel comfortable at all!!...it came with AC (none factory) but I need to fix it

·
Registered
237 Posts
Mine works fine, but I hardly ever use it here in Portland.
I'll run it on the occasional 90+ degree day in town here, but I'd rather convert it into a compressor for an on-board air system.
Not to thread jack, but, from what I've read, the stock compressors are not as good as the old Yorks for this purpose.
However, it sounds like guys have had pretty good luck adding an external filter and hitting it with some WD-40 or similar lube every time they turn it on to keep from burning up the compressor.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
noope, as it doesnt work haha. doesnt bother me though. I have windows :lol:

·
Registered
75 Posts
Doesn't work.. so..no, but honestly, I don't like using AC anyway since it always drains power from the engine on a 4cyl car, and my Trooper is underpowered enough as it is.

·
Registered
458 Posts
I dont like using my ac either cause it kills any power that I dont have but its a must here in the summer time when it gets 105 out.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I got r134 and an electric fan so the air is cold, but the blower sucks so I have cold air just not much of it.

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
I kept the 91 charged with R12... I know a guy who has a ton of it stock pilled. The R12 is colder I believe, and in the 89 I have converted it to 134-a and it is non existant 90% of the time.

cheers
-Ian

·
Registered
48 Posts
I had the A/C unit pulled out last month by my mechanic. Not really worth replacing, which'd run around $900. A/C is kind of a luxury item here in Oregon anyway, so it's not the end of the world.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Yea mine works and is cold but the blower just plain sucks. If there is anything better out there I will buy it!

·
Registered
299 Posts
Driving a Trooper in Nevada is like driving a green house. Red trooper number 4 didn't have A/C, engine looks real clean with out it. When Trooper number 3 came home to me I pulled the A/C off. I just roll down the windows and insert earplugs. Its always 10 degrees hotter in Clark County then the rest of the state..

John

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Yep, it works okish... Not too high on my list to make work better yet..

·
Registered
221 Posts
My old 84 is air conditioned and works real well, I have used it up in the North West outback areas on days of about 115 degrees and it keeps the car bearable but does have trouble keeping up. Anything around the 100F mark and its fine. The 88 isn't air conditioned and I started to pull the A/C out of a 91 I was given to put it in the 88 before a trip I am doing starting later this month but have run out of time so it won't be finnished until later in the year. I was happy enough with the one in the old car and have no hesitation putting another standard one in the 88.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts