Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From the smell I know my cat converter is plugged.
The ECM is throwing a trouble code telling me that one of my O2 sensors is detecting a lean condition.
Is the code obviously due to the plugged cat or do you think it's something else :?: (nothing's worse than fixing what you thought was the problem and seeing that light re-appear)

Wil

·
Registered
14 Posts
I recently had my '04 Axiom in the shop for a similar problem. The dealer said the coil had gone bad, which caused the cat to become clogged. They tried just fixing the coil first, but then also had to replace the cat.

·
Registered
591 Posts
If you have a 1998-2004 3.2/3.5, the most common cause of a "lean" code is a bad intake manifold gasket. A sulphur odor from the exhaust does not necessarily mean a plugged cat. Typically it's a rich mixture condition. You will overheat & sour the catalyst on a 1998+'s cat(s) in no time if the fuel trim is off (bad coil, O2 sensor, MAF sensor, etc..). IMHO the cats are undersized on these trucks causing them to have no margin for error.
G/luck
Joel

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Right before we bought the 95, my brother in law said it was running funny. Would choke up all the time. There were any lights coming on about a problem though. Took it to a garage, busted them out and it has run fine since.

Just hope we don't get the emissions check here, may have a problem then.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry guys, I should have said that I have a 92. :oops:

I replaced the cat, o2 sensor and the code went away. I'm sure the cat caused the problem (it was so plugged it felt like weighed 15 pounds when I cut it out. )

thanks, Will

1 - 5 of 5 Posts