Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, '89 Trooper, 2.6. New head gasket in winter of '03. Bout 12,000 miles, later and I'm adding 2 inches of anti-freeze every 100 miles. Oil looks good, coolant looks good, no white smoke, no smell. It just disapears! My guess is bad headgasket. Fel-pro gasket should get more than 12,000 miles! Temp. gauge never been past halfway mark, either! That was one time. These things dont have one-shot headbolts like mitsubishis do they? Didnt think they did, since local parts store doesn't even list Isuzu headbolts. Doesnt run any different. Compression test showed cylinders 2 and 3 at 90 and 95 lbs. Put plug in one and tested other, no change. couple squirts oil and test, went to 180 lbs!!! Figured that was just rings. 162,000 miles. Yes, adjacent cylinders worried me too. I just realy dont want to tear this thing apart again.
How thin can you go on the head? I need to check that before taking it to the machine shop.
Thanks for any help,
John

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Sorry for your troubles brudda :cry:

First, you didn't mention the casting number on your head. The gasketing may be just fine, but if you have a hairline crack in the head, it's all irrelevent at that point.

The primary issue is to determine the casting # of the head. Being an 89 2.6, it's almost a guarantee that the casting is prolly a 2. If it is, then it's only as good as a door stop and should be replaced with either a refurbbed #3 or #4, or an all new head from AMC (The 'quasi-official' :lol: recommendation is to just automatically go with a new head w/ valvetrain from AMC).

The reason for suggesting an all new head is, that by the time you disassemble the whole thing, and get the head to a machine shop, you are just as well to replace with all new since the old head needs to be x-rayed to determine any cracks, and being some 16 years old now, it's just not worth it.

The only other issue is that you have an actual leak in the cooling system, such as the water pump failing or some other leak in the system> Rad hoses, heater hoses, heater coil, etc.......

Good Luck.

Cheers,

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.