Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
I really need your help! I have a 1997 Isuzu Trooper with 215,400 miles on it. I change the oil every 2000-3000 miles, just changed the plugs about 5,000 miles ago along with a new air filter, and clean oil with less then 1000 miles on it. It has never burnt oil and the oil presser is just below the 85 mark when on the freeway going 70-75 mph or around 3250 rpms.
The problem: Yesterday when ever I stopped at a stop sign or stoplight it would idle about 1250 rpms, and when I taped the gas it would go back down to normal. It did the same thing today but I noticed the idle got higher, 1500 rpms, then 1750 rpms. (this happened over the course of 3 hours or so, I drive 70 miles on the freeway and 20-30 miles in the city daily.) I was at a stop sign 300 yards from my house and it was idling high (1750 rpms) and when I pushed in the clutch to shift into 2nd it jumped to 6000+ rpms, then I shut if off right away and coasted home. I got it into my driveway and my dad sprayed carb-choke cleaner in the throttle body while I was trying to keep it running. Now when I start it, it just jumps up to 4000+ rpms. I really need your help because I'm at a loss on what to do. Please help me I need to get to school tomorrow and I need to fix this tonight.

·
Premium Member
5,577 Posts
Is the throttle stuck open? Maybe the cable is stuck? I'd remove the intake tube and see if the throttle plate is closed. If not, find out why. There could be a leak in the intake, although with it running that fast it should be an obvious leak, one the size of a golf ball.

-Tad

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, thats the problem the thottle is closed. I already took off the intake tube. I sure dont see any leaks or any thing that is not normal. What is the pcv valve or something like that, that you can/should clean? Do you think that could be causeing the problem

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok funny story. I found the problem, a broken gas petal. Yeah that's right a broken gas petal. One of the welds was half way broken and was allowing the petal to move sideways (enough to almost hit the brake and the carpet on the opposite side). I'm guessing that even though the petal would move in and out like it was made to do, the side to side movement was enough to pull the throttle cable just a little to make it idle at a slightly higher rpm (1250). Then the worse it got the more sideways it would get, which would increase the idle speed even more (1750 rpms). Then since it was rubbing so hard on the cruse control assembly it would make it stick open (the 4000-6000 rpms). That's what I think happened because we disconnected the throttle cable from the throttle body and started it up, it ran like they day it did when it left the dealership eight years ago. This is the best part of the whole thing though, I had to put it in our driveway, the driveway is a normal driveway slope so I was wondering how I was going to get it up there with it just being able to idle. So, I put it in 4 low, let the clutch out and it idled right up the driveway. The coolest thing I've ever seen, no gas at all, just normal idle speed.
Thanks for all your help and efforts I really appreciate it!

·
Registered
7,543 Posts
hahahaha, that reminds me of a problem i had with my gas pedal. I had a v6 3.1L 2wd Rodeo 5 speed and if i mashed down on the gas to accelorate, the floormat got stuck between the trans hump and pedal. That was a fun ride. BOTH feet on the brake pedal trying to stop it before i shut off the ignition (within 2 seconds of it taking off on me). I took my foot off the gas and the truck kept going, BAD FEELING. Luckily for you the pedal didnt stick. My Rodeo had 120hp, you abit more at 190hp

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.