Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I have a 1996 Isuzu Rodeo, with a 3.2l engine. It has a spun rod bearing. So I bought another motor out of a passport. It was suppose to be out of a 1997 Honda Passport. However it has a coil pack and some other different stuff, I think it is a 95 or older motor.

The motor that I bought and the motor I am replacing are about identical, I used a majority of stuff off my old motor and they swapped no problem.

Now here is my problem, now I that the swap is made, my replacement motor isn't getting any spark. My mechanic thinks it is the crankshaft, he thinks it is different and sends a different signal to the sensor, and confusing it, and he is stuck on what to do. He told me to search on the internet and there isn't a lot of information on this motor.

So Please help me, I don't know what to do and I am vehicleless until I get this running. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
591 Posts
If it's a 1995 or older, it's going to have a vastly different computer control system than your 1996 is set up with. OBD1 vs. OBDII. You really should have just used the short block on the replacement engine & kept everything else from your 1996. Isuzu did make many subtle changes (as was they're custom), mostly to the electronics on the 1993-1997 3.2's.
G/luck
Joel

·
Registered
825 Posts
that's gona be a tough project... you'll basically have to change the whole system back down to the older OBD1, computer and all....

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't know if I could do the computer swap, my mechanic told me my computer is about twice as big and has 2 times the wires.

Everything swapped out from one motor to the other, so I may just buy the crankshaft (since the original is damaged) and everything else that I need, and it would be the same as a 1996 motor. And with all the sensors hooked up and from my original motor, it should fire right up.

If I can get the mechanic to take apart the motor, I can get it fixed.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.