Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm working on tightening up my Trooper. There is some play in the steering and the wheel rests a little off center. What usually causes that? They truck has 17x,000 miles.

I think I'm going to put a steering stabilizer on there while I'm at it. It's not terrible, but it does wander a little with that slack in the steering.

·
Registered
160 Posts
psguardian said:
I have the same thing on my '92. Wheel rests tilted to the left, slack to the right.
:happy1:

~psguardian
Check your tie rods.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Make sure the front end is tight by lifting up on the control arms and feeling for side to side and up and down play on the wheel. Also to check the lower ball joints pry up in the bottom of the tire and check for movement. Then it would need an alignment. But if your Trooper is anything like mine your lower ball joints are loose and you may need to have the wheel bearings repacked and tightened.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have everything to overhaul my brakes (2nd Gen upgrade), figured I'd be repacking the wheel bearings while I was in there. I'll see what else I can find.

Went ahead and ordered a steering stabilizer too.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Have you check to see if you've a loose nut behind the wheel?

:) :D :lol:

Like the driver maybe.

:lol:

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm going to pick up the stuff to do my bearings and big brake upgrade tomorrow (with fancy rotors and indy4x brake lines). Some nice weather coming midweek to make the work pleasant too. So we'll see what I find in that process. The play in the steering really isn't that bad, just one of the older vehicle quirks that I've been ignoring.

·
Registered
7,284 Posts
Red0ktober said:
I'm going to pick up the stuff to do my bearings and big brake upgrade tomorrow (with fancy rotors and indy4x brake lines). Some nice weather coming midweek to make the work pleasant too. So we'll see what I find in that process. The play in the steering really isn't that bad, just one of the older vehicle quirks that I've been ignoring.
Have you tightened the steering box yet ?

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No. How is that accomplished?

·
Registered
7,284 Posts
Red0ktober said:
No. How is that accomplished?
On the top of the steering box is a nut.

In the nut is a stud with a slot cut in it.

Loosen the nut. Back it off quite a bit.

Using a screwdriver, screw the stud in just until you feel it barely touch something inside. Then unscrew it maybe a 1/4 turn.

Using the screwdriver to hold the stud in place, tighten the nut.

Done.

If you get on the road, and it feels like you tightened it too much, re-adjust it a bit looser. And versey-visey for still too loose.

Reactions: Flobot76

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I recall seeing that. Suppose that would still leave my steering wheel a little off-center if that's the only thing loose. Maybe I'll have it fixed if/when I lift the truck and need the alignment done.

·
Registered
7,284 Posts
Red0ktober said:
I recall seeing that. Suppose that would still leave my steering wheel a little off-center if that's the only thing loose. Maybe I'll have it fixed if/when I lift the truck and need the alignment done.
Correct.

Your steering wheel will still be where it is now. And yes, that would be fixed with an alignment and/or replacement of tie rods/ends.

In the meantime, you will not have to move the steering wheel back and forth, so much, to keep it going straight.

The tighter it is, the quicker the wheels will respond to any movement of the steering wheel.

I don't like it real tight. I like about an inch of play in the SW.

I am sure someone like JLemond can give you specifics about what happens to various steering parts if it is too loose, or too tight.

I only know what I have learned from direct experience.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Does this apply to a 2000 Rodeo as well? My steering seems quite loose.

Thanks!

Selador said:
Correct.

Your steering wheel will still be where it is now. And yes, that would be fixed with an alignment and/or replacement of tie rods/ends.

In the meantime, you will not have to move the steering wheel back and forth, so much, to keep it going straight.

The tighter it is, the quicker the wheels will respond to any movement of the steering wheel.

I don't like it real tight. I like about an inch of play in the SW.

I am sure someone like JLemond can give you specifics about what happens to various steering parts if it is too loose, or too tight.

I only know what I have learned from direct experience.

·
Registered
7,284 Posts
Disciple said:
Does this apply to a 2000 Rodeo as well? My steering seems quite loose.

Thanks!
It should.

Just look for the nut, and the stud w/slot on the top of the steering box, and adjust as I described.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Half done with my big-brake upgrade. The wheel bearing retainer nut was only on finger tight, but there was no play in the hub. Everything looked to be in good condition. Repacked and reassembled on one side with PowerStop rotors and pads, and indy4x brake lines. I should be able to get the rest done tomorrow.

·
Registered
5,475 Posts
I think the newer 98+ rodeo's have the rack & pinion, not a steering gear box.

I had tons of play in my steering gear box, tightened it up a bit, and 2 mnths later had to replace the actual gear box to the tune of $1k dollars....when the gear box came out, there was nothing left to it....figured it was just do to age.

Truck drives straight and true now, and is actually a lot funner to drive, the gear box had obviously been going bad for some time.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Maybe I'll pull the steering box out of my parts truck before I scrap it, just in case.

·
Registered
7,284 Posts
Ramblin Fever said:
I had tons of play in my steering gear box, tightened it up a bit, and 2 mnths later had to replace the actual gear box to the tune of $1k dollars....when the gear box came out, there was nothing left to it....figured it was just do to age.

Truck drives straight and true now, and is actually a lot funner to drive, the gear box had obviously been going bad for some time.
Key words here:
had tons of play
obviously been going bad for some time.

It wasn't tightening it up that caused the problem.

The box was way too loose, for way too long, and it beat itself to death.

When you tightened it up, you got the last little bit of 'good' out of it.

Regardless of whether you tightened it up or not, it would have broken soon.

That failure would possibly have been catastrophic and without 'warning', had you decided to just go on driving it the way it was before...

Red0ktober said:
Maybe I'll pull the steering box out of my parts truck before I scrap it, just in case.
Good idea.

No. Scratch that.

Great idea !

:D :D :D

·
Registered
5,475 Posts
That's kind of my point....by the time us owners realize there IS play in the box it's already too late. IMHO, I got use out of it, it lasted 15yrs and 200k miles, so I can't complain too much.

·
Registered
7,284 Posts
Ramblin Fever said:
That's kind of my point....by the time us owners realize there IS play in the box it's already too late. IMHO, I got use out of it, it lasted 15yrs and 200k miles, so I can't complain too much.
Word.

:D

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.