Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
So I was changing the oil and putting grease on various squeaky areas when I noticed a plate that was seeming detached. The plate is very thin and seems to be directly between the tranny and the engine (2.8, 1990 trooper). There was clearly one bolt on the bottom driver's side that was attached and acting as a pivot point. There were 3 visible holes where a bolt could have run through the loose plate and corresponding holes in the tranny, so it seemed. Anybody have any idea what that is? Why would there be 3 bolts removed and should I put them back? Seems very weird to me... especially that I have not noticed in the past 1.5 years I've had this Trooper.

If this is all to vague, I will take a picture tomorrow.

Thanks,
Jeremy

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Sounds like the inspection cover and it should be there to keep rocks and dirt out of the bellhousing. There is about 4 big bolts and one small bolt by the starter that holds it on.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
so why would it be loose? Would you have to remove it to replace the clutch? As far as I know, that is the only major work that the previous owners did.

I guess I should find some bolts that fit through those holes....

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
esgarbanzo said:
so why would it be loose? Would you have to remove it to replace the clutch? As far as I know, that is the only major work that the previous owners did.
I guess I should find some bolts that fit through those holes....
Thanks guys.
the hole trans has to come out of the auto, to do the clutch.

·
Premium Member
4,350 Posts
If it is that loose, and bolts are missing, would he not be missing bolts mounting the tranny as well?...

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
Likelihood is it was removed when he pulled the transmission to do the clutch and was not put back on securely. Certainly not the end of the world, used to see a bunch of older cars running around without that cover but as betterthenyou mentioned it certainly keeps debris out and especially important on a vehicle that sees off road, dirt or gravel driving!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts