Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello gentleman (and ladies), I crawled under my truck today to take some pictures. There seems to be a leak/seep from some part of my transmission. I've never owned a vehicle with an automatic transmission before, nor even a truck, so I'm not real familiar with what I'm looking at when I'm under there. Please help me identify this issue so I can replace the bad seal as part of the maintenance I'll be doing to the truck.

Here is the problem area. The pan at the top of the picture is the oil pan. I took this picture while laying on my back toward the middle of the vehicle, looking toward the front.

From further away.

Also, I've noticed some new something seems to be slinging from somewhere, onto the undercarriage. It is difficult to describe, it does not wipe off, and seems to be melted/burned on. It looks like a glaze. It wasn't under the truck the last time I was under there. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If it helps any, the fluid is localized to only the area in the picture, and the oil pan is completely dry, so I know it's not coming from that specific pan (oil pan).

·
Registered
5,475 Posts
To me that looks like oil....could be rear main seal or valve cover gaskets leaking on the underside.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'll do that next weekend then. I started to get an occasional, slight slip the last two days. That's never happened before and I'm dreading it. I JUST bought this truck and paid way too much for it. I'm not prepared to have to deal with getting a new transmission for my only vehicle. I'll have to hurry up and get all this maintenance out of the way and buy it as much time as possible.

Thanks so much for all the help so far guys.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No one said that, I'm just getting antsy.

I have yet to check the fluid. I was planning on doing a fluid and filter change asap. Not a tranny flush. Oh yeah, and cleaning the Range Mode Sensor. I posted some pictures of my RMS and asked some questions about it in the Hall of Fame thread, but no one has seen it yet. Care to take a look?

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
rear main seal job should run you around $600 plus parts, make sure you get an oem seal from jlemond don't use a cheap one.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Crawled under the ride and pulled that plate off tonight. It looked surprisingly dry in there. The plate is just as dirty on the top (inside), but there wasn't any fluid inside the walls, or on any of the components that I could see. It may be possible that it (the fluid) is coming from the transmission and dripping down the bell housing on top of that plate.

Second option is that the very rear of the oil pan may be seeping, and collecting onto the plate on both sides.

As far as the outside of the plate, on the transmission side, the wet fluid stain dries up on the bell housing on the front of the transmission. It is very difficult to tell in the pictures, but basically, where the picture stops, is where the fluid stain stops.

I wiped it down as much as I could with a paper towel, and will check it out again this weekend when I do the tranny fluid and filter. Speaking of which, I sprayed some Liquid Wrench on all the tranny pan bolts and the bolts for the cross member.

Thanks for the help so far. I would have taken pictures, but I was trying to stay clean and I've been just crawling under the truck without lifting it at all, so it is tight down there.

·
Registered
5,475 Posts
Would like to help out more...but looking at the entire thread, a lot of info has been deleted from another poster, so I can't make sense of what the conversation has been about up to this point.

·
Registered
877 Posts
yeah, he's been doing that on alot of threads.

Wat up wit dat? :dontknow:

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
He's got super thin skin. He appears to be having a hissy fit and deleted all his posts. That's the kind of thing little kids do the first time they get yelled at online.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Looks like the same leak I have which is coming from my valve cover gaskets, except mine's a bit worse... Do you ever smell an oil burning smell when you shut the engine off after being hot?

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I never smell anything. I have a very hard time understanding how this can be coming from the valve cover gaskets. I'm not trying to be argumentative, I'm just stunned. I've only ever had transverse mounted FWD cars before, so I'm still getting used to the engine layout. It just seems so...far away, from the valve covers to be the same issue. The affected area is so small, that I'd think if it were coming from the TOP of the engine, that the mess would be much larger.

I said I'd look again today, but didn't have the truck for most of the day and got caught up in other things. I hope it IS the valve cover gaskets, because that is a repair that I've done before and it was fairly easy. Plus, I wouldn't mind getting a look at the condition of the valve train as well.

However, you guys are the ones with the experience, so I greatly appreciate all the input so far. Without this forum to lead (more like push) me in the correct direction, I'd surely be lost.

Thanks again, one thousand times over.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
My leak travels down the block and gets pushed back by wind into that exact same spot, either that or I have a VCG leak and rear main seal leak lol! I know my VCG's are leaking because I'm lifted and can look in through he passenger side wheel well and see it oily under the covers...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts