Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I sold my 1990 GMC Jimmy 4x4 (full size) as the gas was killing me.
It was my baby and I had done tons to it.
But I got me this instead and so far I am pleased.

89 Amigo 4x4 5spd
31x10.5x15 BFG
Aiwa CD player
Boston 6x9
infinty 6.5
soft and hard top
tow hitch
new cltuch, exhaust, shocks
1 owner
210k miles and sounds and runs likes new.

Gotta change the T-belt and rear brakes , aswell as minor tune up stuff and Im good to go for driving up to the Mt's to go snowboarding.
Yipeee! :D

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
Nice ride.

You'll save a ton on gas for sure.

These old 2.6s will get ya bout anywhere ya want to go as long as you're not in to big of a hurry. :wink:

Jim

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
schweet migo there! you will see a great improvement on mpg over the jimmy, but in my opinion, the power-weight ratio isnt close enough for the little 4 banger to the amigo. what do you have planned for it?

edit- those snowflakes are looking mighty nice :D

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The jimmy 5.7L was getting 10mpg average no matter waht I was driving on.

PO said he was getting 18-20 average in the amigo.
Im down with that! :shock:

I plan on removing the maze of exhaust pipes underneath the truck and going straight back from the resonator with a 2.5" setup aswell as a header.
Not sure if Im going K&N drop in or cone filter.
Doesnt get warm up here in the PNW for more than 3-4 months a year so it wont be a warm air intake if I do cone, LOL.

Thanx on the flake comments.
Izzy is one of the few manu. that actually made a factory wheel that I liked so I dont plan on changing them.

Are there any chips or ECU upgrades?

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
i did a cone on my 95 rodeo along with a dynomax super turbo. had more get up than stock, especially pushing the slightly larger tires. no chips or ecu upgrades i know of, unless you get that cheap ebay junk. that isn't a wise option though. indy4x has a cone setup for the 2.6's if im thinking right. then a calmini header and a good muffler and you should be set for a bit. i was continuiously toying with the idea of a snorkel and cone setup, but lacked the fabrication tools. you could always swap in a 3.2 :p if you got time and money. there was an amigo on ebay that had a GM 350 in it :roll:

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
bigger engine defeats the purpose of getting it.
Im staying with the 2.6l 4 banger as gas is NEVER gonnago down below $2.50 , ever again!
I work at a Hot Rod shop building muscle cars .
We also have a Exhasut shop and auto repair shop so I have plenty of options for exhaust systems and im going to be doing all the 2.5" pipe fabing myself.
Anybody else make headers other than calmini?

·
Registered
546 Posts
tuner-automotive said:
Body is 9 out of 10
paint is 9 out of 10

Pretty darn close to mint for an 89.

Indy who?
Same here man. Although my troop is an 88.

Congradulations on your smart buy. Your 2.6 will go a long way. Besides the exhaust, there are 2 cams offered: calmini and delta. Folks with the Calmini claim gains in the top end. & some folks claim better low end with the delta, but reviews are mixed. In my opinion, if you were to regrind our cam for super low end torque, the ECU wouldn't know what the hell to do. That explains the modesdy of the delta regrind (in my opinion).

I would go for the calmini cam (personally). Although the delta is a cheaper option.

If you get a header, get the calmini as well. I opted for the pacesetter, which is something I regret. The calmini has its 02 sensor bank lower down on the header where it can more accurately match an average of combustion out of the 4 cylinders. Whereas the pacesetter has the 02 sensor bank on one of the cylinders. (I am going to weld in a new 02 sensor bung on mine one of these days).

Also, working in a hot rod shop, I'm sure you already know the gains in gearing. Well your sittin on 4.56's, you have the option of 5.38's. Nuff said, especially if you are thinking of bigger meats.

Indy = http://www.independent4x.com/
Calmini Performance parts: http://www.pureisuzu.com/isuzumain.htm
Darlington Offroad: http://www.darlington-offroad.com/web_pages/isuzu.htm

·
Registered
808 Posts
Matt over at Indy4x

Indy4x= Independent 4x4

http://www.independent4x.com

Matt has alot of cool stuff for sale :twisted: :twisted:

BTW that is a very nice Amigo, you'll have tons of fun with it!!!

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanx for the warm welcome guys.

Imm not gonna do any engine builds as I dont want to pump anymore HP or torque out of the block.

And as far as bigger tires, well I would really need to get some more torque and Hp out of the block , they we are back at that again.

This is a daily driver as I drive 7 miles, hwy , to work and 7 miles, hwy back home and then errends around town.

Now once the snow starts flying itll drive 120 miles to the Mt and then back .

No serious offroading or that stuff.

So......................
Build up is as follows .
Calmini header - seems to be the most reliable from all the Izzy owners
Magnaflow muffler with high flow cat , full 2.5" setup
Cone filter

Thats it.................................................For now, :roll:

·
Registered
89 Posts
congratulations on the condition
i really like the color :D
and it's a welcomed change (to me) that you're not putting more air under it
isuzus look awesome lifted, but i dont want to flip it, cuz i corner very fast :oops:

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah , I drive alot of Hwy to get to the ski resorts here and I get better road handling that way.
Sonce i dont go gettin crazy 4wheelin , just snow , then i really have no need to spend the money in that direction.

I do want to get my wheels further out towards the body.
Spacers?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.