Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My truck only has a 14 gallon tank. That doesn't go very far considering I generally fill about 12 gallons. It appears as though the pickup (short wheelbase) has the same chassis as the Rodeo. But the Rodeo has a much bigger tank. Has anyone looked into the feasibility of doing a tank swap? I'd love to hear your idea... I'm planning some long range trips this year and filling up every 3hrs of driving won't cut it.

-Peter

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
The 1st gen rodeo has a rear tank. Lowzone put one in one of his projects I believe. I think all you need to do is weld in a few tabs and reroute some lines. Course your spare tire will need to be moved. Be a good way to do dual tanks. Jerry and I discussed another simple way to do dual tanks one time at URE. You would basically fill the rear tank and use the fuel pump in it to transfer fuel to your existing tank.

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
I have twin tanks in my LUV, just stock mounting brackets with the tank turned end for end on the opposite side of the truck. The exhaust runs up high between the tanks and above the driveshaft, the muffler is now back next to the spare, a switch on the dash activates the selector switch to choose which tank and switches the guage to that tank at the same time. 30 years ago it worked great, now it's practically useless, my bladder won't last one tank, must less two.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cronk - That makes sense. That's why the spare is mounted on the tailgate. I don't want to move the spare, so I guess that option is out. I like the idea of using the fuel pump for transferring gas between tanks.

Oldestisuzuist - How big is your second tank? I'll have to take a look to see how feasible that would be on my somewhat newer truck. :)

·
Registered
7,284 Posts
oldestisuzuist said:
I have twin tanks in my LUV, just stock mounting brackets with the tank turned end for end on the opposite side of the truck. The exhaust runs up high between the tanks and above the driveshaft, the muffler is now back next to the spare, a switch on the dash activates the selector switch to choose which tank and switches the guage to that tank at the same time. 30 years ago it worked great, now it's practically useless, my bladder won't last one tank, must less two.
Sounds like it's time to install a second bladder.

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
Selador said:
oldestisuzuist said:
Sounds like it's time to install a second bladder.
Isn't that what a catheter is for? They tend to be a bit awkward...... :p

·
Registered
13,615 Posts
How about a low profile tank underneath your lockbox dude... Even a smaller gas can is kinda nice to have. Makes for quick camp fires dontcha know lol :)

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's a good idea. It would definitely be good to have a gas can no matter what. :)

·
Registered
150 Posts
littlegray said:
My truck only has a 14 gallon tank. That doesn't go very far considering I generally fill about 12 gallons. It appears as though the pickup (short wheelbase) has the same chassis as the Rodeo. But the Rodeo has a much bigger tank. Has anyone looked into the feasibility of doing a tank swap? I'd love to hear your idea... I'm planning some long range trips this year and filling up every 3hrs of driving won't cut it.

-Peter[/quote
That sucks man lol we have the same truck mins the V6 and I have the 75L tank, maybe it might be easier to just do a str8 up tank swap man, they were definitely out there. :evil:

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Jerry and I have talked about this also and the simple solution would be to place a 1st gen Trooper gas tank (21 gal.?) where the spare is since my 33" tire won't fit under there anyway. :lol:

As mentioned though, I also need to take a break after driving 3 hours... so I've given more thought into using the spare tank as a ballast to even the weight distribution on the truck. Fill it with a water/anti-freeze mix when needed during winter or 4wheeling to put more weight over the rear axle.

Another option would be to get something like a toolbox/fuel cell combo... http://www.sporttruck.com/techarticles/ ... index.html

You could also mount the tank where the spare goes and use/fab something like these for the spare tire... http://www.pickupspecialties.com/Tire_g ... arrier.htm

HTH's

·
Registered
150 Posts
I would definitely rock the spare tire hitch setup if you gotta sacrifice the spare tire well man, its definitely the slickest of the bunch.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So Van, where do you put your 33" tire? The bumper carriers or hitch carriers are slick. Although, I'd prefer not having it in way when loading/unloading the truck. I think you're right the trooper tank or rodeo tank would make good sense (cost and mounting wise). The toolbox / fuel cell is a neat idea but cost is steep for what it is. I'll probably mount a couple 5 gallon jerry cans for now. It's really too bad the stock tank is soo small. :(

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
so i guess im the record holder at 8 to 9 hours non stop :bigsmurf:

also i have no cruse :lol:

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
its a diesel trop, i had a 84 pup on a tow bar so i had near 2,750 in tow as well with just a 21 gal tank

granted i was putting along on slow roads (i thought) i avreged about 40/45mph for the 8 to 9 hours. there where a few towns with 25\35 speeds and most any 3%+ grade would hold me to 25/40
was not happy to find a 70 mph speed on a two lane road :!: as a OR resident im used to all 2 lane roads being 55 TOPS :p
it was on US 95 from the I-10 north for the 8 hour drive.

as a best case DDer "at those speeds" she would push 33+ mpg on a tank that's pushing near 700 miles on a 21 gal tank :shock: i don't think even i could make it the 15+ hours it would go :lol:
that's USA number:lol:s not UK numbers.

i will not do that tow bar bull over with any auto, it will be with a tow dolly with brakes should i need to.
had some scary stuff happen but it was all do to people that coudent stand to go a 1/2 mile tell a passing zone..... :roll:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts