Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally pickied up my 91 trooper today. Its a 2.8 V6 4 door. Im very happy with it so far, it was only running on 5 cylinders this morning, but I have it running on all 6 now. Do they make an after market air box for them? I dont really like how the stock one works. Also, whats the deal with the hose that runs from the bottom of the intake tube to the header? Another thing I want to do is put the rear springs over the axle instead of under. Has anyone done this and are there any drawbacks?
Ill try and get some pictures up soon.

·
Registered
558 Posts
well if the tube is metal, then it might be for the EGR. As far as an SOA goes, i dont see why not. Youll have to redo spring mounts and you might have to get degree shims.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmm, I have some extra degree shims from my ram and a welder. Now I need to get some spring plates on top of the axle.
I know the tube is for EGR, can i get rid of it and cap it off at the manifold? Does anyone make an aftermarket air intake for troopers, mine is one big chunk of rust.

·
Registered
558 Posts
well since yours has a 2.8L v-6 in it there should be decent aftermarket for it. Its a GM motor so stuff for an s-10 should work. But im not shure on that.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Airbox? ... K&N has drop in air filters.

SPOA will give you about 6"~8" lift in the back. Ad the axle diameter plus thickness of the spring pack. The problem is raising the front that much. 3" is about all the lift you can get up front without going SAS.

Your truck will likely run poorly without EGR read more here.

·
Registered
790 Posts
If you go to 4x4wire (the link in the post above takes you there) and search for "SOA" (Spring Over Axle) you should find a ton of info on how, why, why not, and what for on putting the sprinds on top of the axle. Like maxwell417 said though, you gain more lift in the rear from SOA than you can reasonably get back in the front by cranking the torsion bars. You can lose some springs from the pack to drop the rear a bit, but you have to be careful not to create axle wrap problems or make the rear too spongy.

On the shims, couldn't you just put the spring plates on at the right angle to start with and leave them out? Also, you need to look at the driveline when doing SOA to the rear. The two piece driveline may not leave enough splines in the slip joint and it may help to have a one piece shaft made.

Seems like there should be some sort of TBI hat/tube/cone filter kit that would fit onto the 2.8L. If you can't find Isuzu specific stuff, you may have to find an S10 or other design and fit it to the trooper. Pretty much the same 2.8L V6 came in all sorts of rigs, some Jeeps even if I recall.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.