1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
9,936 Posts
They probably just bolt through the roof, or use self tapping screws to hold them in place.

As long as they don't leak, I'd say gopher it.

Bart

·
Registered
7,284 Posts
How much are those ?

I'm considering putting some that look like that, on my 88 troop.

But I took mine off of an 83 s-10 blazer.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Online they have 'em for around $200
gotta search around for the best price though

·
Registered
7,284 Posts
streetersam said:
Online they have 'em for around $200
gotta search around for the best price though
I have two extra sets, off of s10 blazers/s15 jimmys.

I'd let them go for 40 dollars each plus actual shipping.

They are dirty, and you'd have to find your own screws/bolts/attachment grommets or whatever.

But what do you expect for 40 dollars ? LOL

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
oh awesome! what do they look like?
any pics?

·
Registered
7,284 Posts
streetersam said:
any pics?
I'll go take a pic of the rack that is still attached to the white blazer.

BRB

Ok, here it is.

It was raining cats and dogs, and there were tree branches in the way. I moved the branches the best I could. You can see enough to get the idea.

That doesn't include the metal strips on the roof.

And they make crossbars that attach to the 'triangular' shaped parts of this rack, which hold a LOT of weight.

I am going to make my own crossbars using unistrut.

Size is approximately 41 inches wide by 51 inches long.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
oh cool! that looks sturdy! a lot more so than the china crap that they have online
they're kinda short, but i think they could work! how are they attached to the car? thru-bolts, or self tappers?

·
Registered
7,284 Posts
streetersam said:
any pics?
I can take this apart into 4 pieces and fit all of them into a shipping tube, or long narrow box.

Actual shipping will include whatever it costs me to package it up.

·
Registered
7,284 Posts
streetersam said:
oh cool! that looks sturdy! a lot more so than the china crap that they have online
they're kinda short, but i think they could work! how are they attached to the car? thru-bolts, or self tappers?
They are VERY sturdy.

I have brought home 500 pounds of lumber on top of a rack identical to this, on my s-15 jimmy. (It has the aftermarket crossbars on it, though.)(But those crossbars are attached to this same identical rack, so it WILL handle that kind of load.)

I believe that they have some sort of expanding thing that has it's own rubber boot. You drill a hole, shove the attachment thing with rubber boot through the hole, and tighten. That snugs it in the hole, and seals the hole at the same time.

I can TRY to save the rubber attachment things, but I can't guarantee that they will survive.

Maybe if a few of them do survive, they'll give you an idea what you can do on your own for the rest of them.

I am simply going to through bolt with silicone and some rubber washers, on mine.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
pm'ed you, selador

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
Those look pretty good. I'll be curious to see them mounted up if you get them.

A cheap alternative that I used was some grab bar components and used fence post. Worked great, is solid and most importantly, was super cheap. You might have to make some mounts for the Trooper though.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
yeah cronk, i'm not that talented lol...
mounting stuff is about as far as i go

although i am intrigued to see what that looks like...

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
Trail and error and lots of patience is all it takes! :wink: Emphasis on lots of patience. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Here is the mount:

Turned out that a chain link top rail fit perfectly.

Here it is on my Rodeo.

And a recent picture

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
awesome job on that! you did a nice job, looks stock! btw, what kinda basket is that? i want a basket once i get a rack, was thinkin rola...

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
Thanks! It took me a few tries to get it looking right but that's the thing with creating your own!

The basket is a Yakima Load Warrior with extension. Watch e-bay or Craigslist and you can find a deal on one.

·
Registered
7,284 Posts
cronk said:
Those look pretty good. I'll be curious to see them mounted up if you get them.

A cheap alternative that I used was some grab bar components and used fence post. Worked great, is solid and most importantly, was super cheap. You might have to make some mounts for the Trooper though.
I really like your setup !

I already had these sitting around, though, so I'll make it work with one of these.

I am simply going to center it on the roof of the trooper.

And like I said, I'll use unistrut for crossbars.

The secret to carrying a LOT of weight on these things is to have the extra crossbars, mounted right on top of the triangular shaped pieces of these racks.

And when you load it up, keep the weight centered on top of the long sides of the rack, as much as possible.

In other words, don't just toss a bunch of lumber up there, down the middle of the crossbars, and head for home.

Separate the lumber as much as possible and stack it on both sides.

Then tie the load down so tight that it becomes a part of the vehicle.

If you are bringing plywood, lay it down flat, before any other lumber. And, very important... Once the load is tied down, pull a couple of ropes over the top, from the back of the vehicle, and crossing over each other, on top of the load, then pulled off the front of the load at about the "thirds" marks.

Pull those town as tight as you can get them, to the front bumper.

You want to do all that with plywood, because otherwise it WILL flip up and cause damage, or a wreck.

Do NOT skimp on ropes and tiedown straps.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
what is unistrut?

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.