Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in CA with all its wonderful smog laws and I am wondering what performance mods I can do on my 92 3.1 rodeo. I would like to put a cam and roller rockers and maybe some other things I have read about. I know that any mods must be CARB(CA Air Resource Board) certified to pass smog, but are there any that can be done without raising emission levels beyond the stock vehicle levels. You know, what they don't know won't hurt 'em. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
7,209 Posts
Nothing you can do to the engine is going to be worth the money you will spend doing it. Are you lifted? What size tire are you running, or plan to run. One of the best bang for the buck upgrades is to change your rear end ratio, or both ends if you are 4wd.

Nothing will change the seat of the pants dyno any more. Unless we are talking forced induction (turbo or superchager) You can try putting headers, a MSD ignition, free flowing exhaust, roller rockers, K&N filter, and every other go fast goody you can throw at it and if you add 20 horsepower I'd be surprised.

What kind of truck are you going to end up with a offroad or street truck?

Joe

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The tires are BFG Mud Terrain T/A 31.5/10.5/15, no lift yet(drooling over CAL MINI 3" lift) and stock axles. I am in the process of rebuilding the motor and thinking of doing some internal mods before assembly. However, I don't want to get screwed by smog check(every other year in CA.)and have to swap OEM parts back on. I don't mind spending the money as long as I won't get hassled. I am off road fanatic and would eventually hope to add lift,lockers, tires, catback,cold air induction, 4.3 TBI, maybe even turbo or supercharger. I found a lot of great mods at 4x4wire.com but it is also work vehicle used in construction so I don't want to do anything that does'nt swap easily for OEM parts so I can still get it smogged. I envy you guys in other states that can do just about any mods you want with no worries.

Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
7,209 Posts
You may look into head swaps, to see if there can be any performance gained by swapping to the 2.8 head or if there are performance heads out there. I'm sure you could find a cam. I didn't know you already had it torn apart. It makes much more sense to do this if it's apart.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, something blew or cracked, coolant in the oil, yadayadayada. Pulled heads and intake off for visual, but nothing jumped out at me. Motor ran great, 227k on it with very little oil consumption(thanks Prolong!). Amazingly, almost no visible signs of wear. No ridges, scorched bearings, or worn journal/lobes. I don't baby it either,oil change @ 5-6K, 200k of hard miles.:twisted: But I've been wanting to do some mods since it is such a slug. Now's my chance, it's like a blessing in disguise. lol

·
Registered
7,209 Posts

·
Registered
7,543 Posts
92rodeoman said:
Well, something blew or cracked, coolant in the oil, yadayadayada.
the 2.8/3.1L are prone to intake gasket leaking coolant in by the lifters galley. probably what happened. Could look into the 3.4L swap also :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.