Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you were to cut out the old muffler and weld in a new one directly in it's place that had a little soul. What brand/model would you go for?

I'm just tinkering with the idea. Not looking for performance gains or anything, just want a nice rumble and maybe just a slight (very slight!) drone while cruising.

Throw some options at me!

·
Registered
13,615 Posts
A cheap turbo muffler would most likely give you what your looking for!!!
A flomaster would sound even better but cruising rpm might be a little loud !!
Just depends what you want ....

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks!

I was thinking maybe flowmaster 60 or dbx series, but I don't know what they sound like. They just seem to be designed more for 4cyl engines, but it probably doesn't matter.

I used to have a Grand Wagoneer with a 360 and a 40 series that I loved, but I dunno if it'd sound weird on a 4cyl even if it's designed for trucks/SUVs.

·
Registered
13,615 Posts
I have a flow master on just about all my rigs lol.
I ordered the 4cyl one for my 2.6 it was not a normal looking flowmaster, but it ran really good and sounded very nice !!! Im running a dual in dual out flowmaster on my 3.2 amigo and it sounds sweet, I love the sound as you get on it. It might be like a 60 series. Can't remember ??

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
bradzuzu said:
I have a flow master on just about all my rigs lol.
I ordered the 4cyl one for my 2.6 it was not a normal looking flowmaster, but it ran really good and sounded very nice !!! Im running a dual in dual out flowmaster on my 3.2 amigo and it sounds sweet, I love the sound as you get on it. It might be like a 60 series. Can't remember ??
The dbx is a big round tube and the 60 series is the more normal rectangle flowmaster style.

I'm looking for something with a bit of rumble to it rather than just the fart tone. I think having the muffler further up will help. I also wonder if the 60 series has more of that sound.

·
Registered
13,615 Posts
Not sure it might be supper loud lol !!! Maybe I'm backwards the 40 series is louder. But chicks will dig it lol ...!! I've asked muffler people if mounting the muffler further back or closer to the engine would change tone but they said not really. The bigger the diameter the louder it gets and deeper I think ...

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
I'm running a custom made muffler and resonator from these folks.
http://www.stainlesssteelmufflers.com/mufflertips.htm
SS and sweet. I get a lot of compliment on the sound. I personally don't like the tin can raspyness of a flowmaster. Borla makes turbo style mufflers with a great tone as well.

Muffler

12" resonator before install.

These are NOT glasspacks. Patented SS.

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
Mine is the OE quiet made for my specific engine displacement. I had them make it to match an earlier exhaust I had worked out. 2.5" from header to muffler and 2.25 from muffler out.
My exhaust follows the stock location. Header>flex>high flow cat>muffler>resonator.
4 bangers can be hard to quiet(louder than OEM for sure). My exhaust had a nice bark and sounded great. But the body resonance climbing hills while towing drove me nuts. So I called them up and spoke to he engineer there and they made me a resonater. It's between the muffler and tailpipe. Made a huge difference. That company also makes an OFF ROAD armored muffler as well. Call them and tell them what you want. They build the muffler to the size of your engine and what you want it to do.

My exhaust is 304 SS end to end. This is the resonator in place.

Front to back before resonator and lots of mud cooked on it.

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
No vids, It's possible maybe someone caught some in one of the spring URE vids. I had the engine wrapped up pretty high a couple of times there.

Resonator knocks down the pulses that make the body resonate like an acoustic guitar. Gets rid of the drone on the highway. A real resonator is not a muffler. Yes it mellows the tone. Still rumbles just doesn't bite like it did.

·
Registered
13,615 Posts
Those still have a packing of fiber glass wrap in them. They may nor be tecknicley called a cherry bomb or glass pack but in essence that's what they are.

I'm not nockin them I have some harley davidson tips on my buggy they sound really nice.

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
Your's have glass or mine? No glass in mine just SS venturies. The mufflers and resonaters look comletely different inside from each other. The man from the company said I hope you like the sound because it will never change!

Those tips look nice. A lot of motorcycle pipes are glasspacks.

Just a note on 2.6 exhaust. Stay with 2.25" (2-1/4) tube. Otherwise you will lose your bottom end torque. A bigger tube will rev like a Kawasaki but won't pull down low. It's an expensive leasson I learned long ago in SS. 3 versions of the 1st exhaust before we got it 100% on my 1st Trooper. Still have the experiments in the rafters of the garage.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
squatch said:
Your's have glass or mine? No glass in mine just SS venturies. The mufflers and resonaters look comletely different inside from each other. The man from the company said I hope you like the sound because it will never change!

Those tips look nice. A lot of motorcycle pipes are glasspacks.

Just a note on 2.6 exhaust. Stay with 2.25" (2-1/4) tube. Otherwise you will lose your bottom end torque. A bigger tube will rev like a Kawasaki but won't pull down low. It's an expensive leasson I learned long ago in SS. 3 versions of the 1st exhaust before we got it 100% on my 1st Trooper. Still have the experiments in the rafters of the garage.
Yeah, I don't plan on changing the tube diameter.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Hey, I have a 3.2 in my rodeo and I hate the way my exhaust sounds and I have talked to a few people about it and they told me to add an extra muffler or a resonator. It's hard to describe the noise it make but I have a video. by any chance would it reduce this exhaust sound? It's normally worse at cold starts and/or when my tranny won't shift right (different problem). The higher the rpms the worse it sounds.

No cats, to flowmaster 40s, to 2in tailpipe.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Kentjoecoo said:
Hey, I have a 3.2 in my rodeo and I hate the way my exhaust sounds and I have talked to a few people about it and they told me to add an extra muffler or a resonator. It's hard to describe the noise it make but I have a video. by any chance would it reduce this exhaust sound? It's normally worse at cold starts and/or when my tranny won't shift right (different problem). The higher the rpms the worse it sounds.

No cats, to flowmaster 40s, to 2in tailpipe.
Probably wont make a huge decibel difference, but should bring down the "noise" a bit.

I'd consult a professional about it first.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts