Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So while I was getting ready to go ot work some jackass jumped in my PP and drove off with it.

Anyone in Oregon or Southern Washington please keep your eyes out.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I hope someone finds it. I'll keep my eyes out here in north Carolina but doubt if they are comming here. I'm soooo sorry

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
That sure bites! I've been broken in to couple times over the past many years, one time stealing a shotgun though there were other guns and cash right there, the other time just a motorcycle carb. Thus far I've never had a vehicle stolen!
They might not go far, thinking most joy riders don't put gas in the car!

·
Registered
5,475 Posts
oh man...I would sh$t!....thoughts out to you that they don't total it. You have full coverage or liability only?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Making payments so full coverage. I have a full stereo system in it and some other important stuff as well. All of my camera equipment except for the camera itself(thank god).

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Your liability doesn't matter at this point because any damage he does to other people is not covered by your insurance. Also, none of the camera stuff is covered by your auto policy. Do you have renters or home owners? File a police report asap if you haven't already.

Also, next time, make a couple sets of keys and just lock the doors when you leave the truck running.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well my wife went out to start it as usual and she usually sits with it, I had to get dog food last night among some other things so she was grabbing them and bringing them up on the porch(really more like a deck), now keepo in mind this thing is but 5 feet from the porch. She opened the door and didn't even come inside just leaned in to grab her phone so she could check the time and some asshat jumped in and took off.

I live in a trailer park that's way back off the road and hidden, people don't go randomly walking through here, there is no way to walk through. Only a single driveway. My wife has also been taught to check her surroundings constantly(part of my paranoid actions I guess, I've had too many people taking potshots at me etc from living in bad neighborhoods) I live in a trailer park but this is a decent neighborhood, the police were rather surprised by it as well. Anyway my wife saw nobody around at all, and there is literally no place to hide around here to get access that quickly, even if they sprint for it. My neighbors are decent folk but some of their visitors are not. We're pretty sure it was a visitor or family member of a neighbor heading out and seeing an opportunity.

You're right my insurance won't cover the camera equipment, but that's fairly cheaply replaceable, over the period of a paycheck or two. The Camera itself is inside the house. As are all the guns as I don't leave them in the car. Too paranoid. Any damage the thief does to others that I would normally be liable for my insurance will cover if they decide to cover the theft. I don't have a meganational insurance company for a reason.

At least if the stereo is gone they will cover that. It was all bolted down, and is within their limitations. There are a few other expensive items that won't be covered, but hopefully if the truck is recovered they will still be there, as they are not things that are easily sold off or quickly sold. They are specialty items that only a couple of places will sell or buy, and I frequent all those places so they know what equipment is mine.

I just hope it gets back to me before I lose my job over it.

·
Registered
11,705 Posts
Fyi. I've never seen a full coverage policy not cover contents. Be that as it may, you can probably get coverage for contents for a minimal addition to your premium.

·
Registered
5,475 Posts
I"m not referring to the damage the truck causes to other people, I'm referring to the truck itself.....you'd be amazed the damage they could do to that engine/transmission just from stealing it and hot rodding it.

Have a relative who has a buick t-type, had a brand-new rebuilt racing engine/transmission combo installed; the guy who stole it, junked the transmission in a matter of hours, screwed the suspension, did thousands of dollars in damages within just a few hours time.

·
Registered
227 Posts
There is a special place in hell for anyone who trashes a BRGN. :evil:

There's either an 86 or 87 parked out in a pasture out in Chesapeake (VA) near the intersection of Mt. Pleasant and Centerville. I never saw it moved in the nearly 2 years I passed by it on a daily basis. Damn shame that something like that gets parked and forgotten about.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah they won't cover the engine tranny type stuff but if they go and wreck it then it's covered. I have a pretty good policy. However my finance company requires the dealer to fix anything that stops the car from being driven. That and there is a type of insurance with the finance company that will handle that type of stuff so I hope it comes out ok, at least these little trucks are tough.

People who destroy BGN's need to be hung by their sack with fish hooks.

At least there is a news story on the truck, and they are going to broadcast photo's of the truck too.

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
As for damage he causes others, definitely depends on the insurance...maybe even varies by state. I know my insurance is on the vehicle regardless of driver. I'm told even if it's an unlicensed driver. That can also suck as years ago I was driving my girlfriends truck and backed in to a city truck. I REALLY wanted to turn it in on my auto policy so it didn't go against hers and there was no way I could do that, again...the insurance is on the vehicle regardless of driver.
As for covering contents, that can also vary. Even my home owners policy has some exclusions for guns, cameras, collectibles, jewelry, etc. Basically just a way for them to offer competitive rates and you then have to "add on" to cover items on their list.
I'm kind of surprised your policy wouldn't cover engine and such if you could demonstrate the damage was a direct result of the theft. I would think that could be under vandalism but once again varies by policy.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
fantacmet said:
Any damage the thief does to others that I would normally be liable for my insurance will cover if they decide to cover the theft. I don't have a meganational insurance company for a reason.
No they won't.

shooter said:
Fyi. I've never seen a full coverage policy not cover contents. Be that as it may, you can probably get coverage for contents for a minimal addition to your premium.
No you can't. You can get coverage by buying a renters or home owner's policy.

Airhead rider said:
As for damage he causes others, definitely depends on the insurance...maybe even varies by state. I know my insurance is on the vehicle regardless of driver. I'm told even if it's an unlicensed driver. That can also suck as years ago I was driving my girlfriends truck and backed in to a city truck. I REALLY wanted to turn it in on my auto policy so it didn't go against hers and there was no way I could do that, again...the insurance is on the vehicle regardless of driver.
As for covering contents, that can also vary. Even my home owners policy has some exclusions for guns, cameras, collectibles, jewelry, etc. Basically just a way for them to offer competitive rates and you then have to "add on" to cover items on their list.
I'm kind of surprised your policy wouldn't cover engine and such if you could demonstrate the damage was a direct result of the theft. I would think that could be under vandalism but once again varies by policy.
Wrong.

If the vehicle is being by someone without the permission of the owner (either expressly granted or implied) then damage/injury to other's or their property will NOT be covered by your insurance policy. It doesn't matter that it won't be covered, because YOU won't be on the hook for it either, so don't think that I'm trying to scare or anything. I'm simply pointing out that damage caused by a joy rider of a stolen vehicle will not be covered by the company that insures that vehicle.

Contents of a vehicle that are not permanently installed (i.e. bolted down) or replacing a factory part that came in the vehicle are NEVER covered by an auto policy, period.

Engine damage is not necessarily excluded. If you crash your car into a concrete light post and damage the engine, that is covered because the damage was a direct result of a covered loss. Assuming you have collision for the example that I gave. If you are driving and your engine blows up because you never change the oil, that is not covered because it is completely preventable wear and tear.

If you have comprehensive coverage, then any damage the thief does to your car, should be covered. I believe this even includes blowing the motor up or damaging the drive train. I'll have to check on that for you.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Actually it seriously does depend on the policy, I'vehad policies that would cover and policies that wouldn't. I have actually read my policy in it's entirety, so saying it won't cover is true for some and not so for others.

My particular policy will not cover any of the contents. My stereo equipment on the other hand is another story.

Now I know some states don't allow some types of coverage, and have limitations on what can't be covered, but for the most part here where I am it comes down to the policy, and whatever agreement you make with the insurance company.

My insurance provider will allow full custom policies on what is covered and what isn't. I however didn't bother and just went with a standard policy.

Now if I remember correctly if the thief goes out and blows the engine that should be covered, but if I get it back drive it for a few weeks and the engine blows and it's a result of the thief still, then it will not be covered.

Technically my amp and sub are now bolted down, but they will still be covered by my policy, I've already specifically verified that directly. This is literally the ONLY coverage I have ever seen that will do this. This however is a small local company that doesn't insure too many vehicles, they primarily insure churches, church vehicles, and clergy vehicles.

Nobody ever belives me that I don't pay either monthly or full term, I keep getting told otherwise but the fact is I only make 8 payments a year. Again the only company I've ever heard to allow something like this.

I could have opted for extra coverage to cover the contents of the car, and I did discuss it, but it would have been too limiting because the value of items that are in the car cana nd do change so much, even my ownership of such items since I buy sell and trade so much of it. I decided not to bother.

So really nobody here is really wrong or right as a whole. Generally and majorly speaking, yes, but not wholly.

Appreciate all the input, but the only thing I need them to cover at this point is a rental but the service department will not be open until Tuesday, but then neither will the only rental car company around that will deal with insurance. So I'm pretty much hosed.

·
Registered
5,475 Posts
how many days does your policy state in between time of theft and time of payout?

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
Yup, kind of the point I was attempting to make....it does depend solely on the policy in place and that in some part depends on the state in which you reside. There is no blanket statement that is correct for all states, policies, etc. Contents not bolted in place NEVER covered may well be correct for some policies but not all, I have an example where a wrist watch and ring were in fact covered.
Good luck fantacmet, sounds like you've got your t's crossed and your i's dotted. Seldom do you come out ahead dealing with vehicle insurance but hopefully you don't come out too bad either.
One additional example. Buddies daughter totaled his Blazer. Insurance made an offer he felt was too low even though it was probably book. My buddy showed the insurance company his recent receipt for new tires and a fresh paint job and surprisingly they raised the payout. Good luck! Hopefully you get it resolved quickly.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
I've handled thousands of auto insurance claims in several different states. I haven't seen every policy in the world, but I'm confident that contents are never covered on an auto policy. Sounds like people might be confused with being able to cheaply add renters insurance from the same company, that is still a seperate policy though.

I believe you about paying only 8 payments a year, I don't see why people wouldn't believe that. Like others have said, you are in a good position with adequate coverage, so I wouldn't be worried about anything. I'm not trying to be argumentative, but I don't like false information being put out there on forums.

·
Registered
11,705 Posts
No confusion. Vehicle stolen and contents covered less the cash (less than 100.00) I had in console. Pontoon boat sunk and some contents covered. With the boat, a tornado pulled the boat from the slip, shot it totally under water for seconds and launched it back to the surface (eye witnesses). I itemized about 3,500.00 of onboard gear. They covered only 1,000.00, however, felt so badly about the difference that they paid for the boat, motor, 1,000.00 of contents and gave me the boat back. The front area had one hole in the carpet/plywood about 1/2" diameter and the driver side rear corner rail had a dent. Otherwise, you would never know what it had been through. Got my boat money, my contents money, the boat, turned around and sold the boat for what I had originally paid for it.

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Aww man that sucks! Such a nice looking Passport too. I hope it comes back to you soon. Keep us in the loop.

fantacmet said:
So while I was getting ready to go ot work some jackass jumped in my PP and drove off with it.

Anyone in Oregon or Southern Washington please keep your eyes out.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts