Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to paint the steel rims on my '86 Trooper black so they look more like rock crawlers. I am thinking I can do this without taking off the tire. Two questions:

1) Should I just take off the tire and do it right? Maybe powdercoat? (seems to me that if I do this I might as well just buy some RC's)
2) If I go the cheapo route, is there a spray paint that will hold up on the rims? I was thinking a high temp motor paint might work.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
5,577 Posts
Despite the fact that some grease monkey with a tire balancing machine screwed up the paint with their wheel weight pliers, cheap paint has worked well on mine:

http://tad.luddite.net/gallery/MiscSp ... 5/CIMG2405

Mask the tire with about 100 pieces of masking tape, clean the wheel, dry the wheel and paint away.

-Tad

·
Registered
7,209 Posts
The good thing about your rims being sprayed krylon black, you can touch up at any time.

PSSSST.....PSSSSST

·
Registered
53 Posts
Don't mask the tire. Run a piece of tape(sticky-side out) around the top of the bead on the wheel. Then put peices of paper on the tape and fold it over the tire. It takes a little longer; but, looks much better. The only way to get a really good job is to dismount the tire. But, I always manage to screw-up my new paint when I put the tires back on. :evil:

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the encouragement - cheapo it is!

I plan to pull the wheels off the truck one at a time to clean and paint them. My only question is, should I pull off the lead weights or just paint the weights too? If I pull them off can I put them back on myself? Also, I have heard of putting the balance weights on the inside of the wheel - has anyone ever done this before?

·
Registered
220 Posts
i dont actually put the balance weights on the back of my wheels, but i tell the shop i go to, to put them on the back whenever i remembner to tell them

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.