Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
wutsup guys, has anyone ever painted there bumpers? ive seen this black bumper spray paint at auto zone and its supposed to work well but i dont want it to come out cheezy lookin. any ideas, suggestions?
its on my 95 trooper and the dang bumpers are sooooooo faded

http://www.duplicolor.com/products/bumper.html

·
Registered
99 Posts
check out www.paintscratch.com

They can custom-mix real bumper paint to match your existing body color.

Ive used it, and wow... amazing color match. Not really that expensive either. More than Autozone stuff, but worth it.

·
Registered
11,467 Posts
Make sure its a tough paint. The only bumper I've painted was on my '84 Pup cuz it was really chipped and starting to rust. Spent a weekend stripping and painting it. Looked great for a while but within 6 months looked worse then before. Of course here they use sand (more like rocks) in the winter instead of salt so it took a pounding.

If I would have known about POR-15 then I would have put that on first then painted over it. Very tough stuff.

BTW, I wasnt tailgating... I was drafting. :twisted:

·
Registered
99 Posts
Yes, the thing with bumpers (at least plastic ones) is that the paint needs a flex-agent ingredient. This paintscratch.com place does that.

Also, having a soft underlayer is a good idea for areas that get rock chips. My trooper has this underlayer on the lower rocker panels. Almost like a rubber undercoating, topped off with flex paint. So it has some "give" from rock hits. Maybe this is the stuff Autozone has? It gives a slightly orang-peel texture to the top layer of paint.

With any home-made or even body-shop paint, the first 6 months are the time to be gentle on the paint. It doesnt harden for like 6 mo. or a year. Factory paint gets baked in an oven and so is hard and tough right out the factory doors.

·
Registered
117 Posts
On one of 4 wheel parts project trucks the Maya Hunter they had "Rhino Lining" sprayed on the bumper

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.