Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently, I bought kazko's Amigo and gave my wife my 1994 Trooper LS when hers melted down. I wanted something smaller and more manuverable, and I'm loving this thing.

But I'm a news photog (and reporter) and I to carry certain equipment with me at all times (tripod, light stands, scanner, mind control reciever conntected to George Soros etc). With the trooper, it was all reasonably secure in the back, but with this Amigo, and me having the top off I needed a way to lock all the stuff up. Also, occasionally I need to go into an eatery or a gas station or something and leaving it protected only by window glass was never an option.

I don't need to be able to park it in the middle of the projects over a long weekend, but in a denneys parking lot within view of my table....something that would prevent a quick smash and grab....or just grab with the top off of it.

So over the weekend I bought one of these:
http://www.tuffyproducts.com/p-96-025-s ... trunk.aspx

From a Jeep guy on craigslist, and I've been thinking of how to moun it. The back end of an amigo is considerably wider, so it looks kind of silly just sitting in the middle of the cargo area. Then I notice that the center console that was in my Amgio wasn't fastened down, and when I lifted it out and set it on top of the Tuffy Lock box, they were about the same width. Sure enough, the Tuffy Lock box will just fit inbetween the front seats...allthe way to the back. Sure, I lose the cup holders, but I get enough storage to hold a tripod, a couple of light stands, and have a place to lock up my gear when I need to.

So now, I have to figure out how to secure the box. It wont do to have someome steal the whole box. Anything I should be worried about drilling into?

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Should be able to run some self tapping screws through the floor to secure it. Pretty much all that runs down the middle underneath is the drive shaft, and it is not close enough to worry about.

·
Registered
677 Posts
I agree, There is nothing under the floor to worry about, however you may want to double check for wires that may have been under the stock console and move those before running screws through the carpet.

I'd use Tec screws as they have drill bits shaped onto the screws. That way you won't need to make starter holes in the truck floor. You would need to drill the box first, just not the floor.

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
Post some photos if you would when you do this... it could be good for others that my follow your steps. Looking forward to seeing this.

cheers
-Ian

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Will post photos later today. The box has holes pre-drilled, and the console wasn't stock (I dont think) so there weren't any wires.
Tec screws....I'll have to look for those.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Dont use self taping screws. You would be surprised at how easily they come out with a crowbar and scumbags that try to steal your stuff are especially adept at that. I would use carriage bolts with the nuts on the inside with large washers on the bottom side to spread the force. I would then take a hammer bend over the bolts on the inside so the only way to get them out is to take an angle grinder to them.

It seems like overkill but theives will do exactly that. As an example of the lengths that people will go,there was an incident on the news here a month or so ago. Some guy tried broke into a house. They found a small handgun safe with a few handguns and a full sized gun safe. They actually took the full sized safe,hoisted it onto the top of their car and tried to drive off with it. They got away with the small safe but the big one slid off the top of the car and they left it. They had no hope of getting into the safe in a reasonable time so they just tried to steal the whole thing and almost did even though it probably weighed a half a ton or more. If they had actually intended to do that from the get go,they would have brought a pick up truck and the victim would have lost his whole collection. In fact its not even that uncommon. Often times they will pry them right off the house if they are not properly anchored.

All you have is sheet metal in the truck to attach it to,but I would at least make it harder to get the lock box OUT than it is to break into it. I try to think like that,I need my doors to be harder to force open than it is to break a window ,rather than going to crazy lengths,because at a certain point that's exactly what the thief is going to do. Similarly,if I decide I want to increase security,I need to make the windows and doors harder to break through than the walls are,but it does no good to put a front door on that looks like a bank vault,if they can just back a truck through the wall. (In fact,there were bank vaults in Hiroshima that was still intact after the shock wave from the atomic bomb turned the rest of the building,and two lesser quality vaults into rubble.)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yeah, I realize the foldup seat thing wont work anymore, but I can live with thtat. Self tapping will probably be fine, I'm just looking to prevent quick smash and grab, if they have the time and seculsion to use a crowbar on it, then they are going to get it anyway.

Since the doctor has me on this tasty cough syrup that has codiene, I've decided to put off making decisions about perrmenant modifications to my ride until such a time that can I drive myself to the hardware store--or, you know, find the driveway.

Here's some photos, and a photo I took of MC Hammer. sheesh this cough syrup is tasty.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Stevew said:
yeah, I realize the foldup seat thing wont work anymore, but I can live with thtat. Self tapping will probably be fine, I'm just looking to prevent quick smash and grab, if they have the time and seculsion to use a crowbar on it, then they are going to get it anyway.

Since the doctor has me on this tasty cough syrup that has codiene, I've decided to put off making decisions about perrmenant modifications to my ride until such a time that can I drive myself to the hardware store--or, you know, find the driveway.

Here's some photos, and a photo I took of MC Hammer. sheesh this cough syrup is tasty.

The scumbags that want to steal your stuff will take out that crowbar in broad daylight,in seconds flat. I have to say,I like the lock box.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Trooper King said:
Nice! make sure the dancer don't steal your stuff. :p
You really don't have to worry about any of Hammers dancers. He's very strict, and they aren't allowed to touch anything around them.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Trooper King said:
Do you have bolted down? or ?
It is not bolted down yet. I'm still working on how best to secure it, and want to make sure that's really where I want to mount it before I do so.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Trooper King said:
Stevew said:
Trooper King said:
It is not bolted down yet. I'm still working on how best to secure it, and want to make sure that's really where I want to mount it before I do so.
That cool. have you thought about small lock box?
This one is really smaller than I need, but it will do for the moment.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Stevew said:
Trooper King said:
"Yo,check out this awesome utility box I found for my truck"
"WTF,you dont even own a truck man!"
"Yea but it was just sitting there,guy deserved to lose it,he only held it down with sheet metal screws. It was filled with a whole bunch of old camera junk though,I just dumped that on the side of the road."

:shock:

J/K Im actually thinking about getting one of those myself. I wonder how it would fit in a Rodeo. You could bolt some sort of a cup holder to the top of it I bet to hold your drinks.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Stevew said:
Trooper King said:
Stevew said:
Trooper King said:
That cool. have you thought about small lock box?
This one is really smaller than I need, but it will do for the moment.
That cool looks good

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
mallen said:
Stevew said:
Trooper King said:
"Yo,check out this awesome utility box I found for my truck"
"WTF,you dont even own a truck man!"
"Yea but it was just sitting there,guy deserved to lose it,he only held it down with sheet metal screws. It was filled with a whole bunch of old camera junk though,I just dumped that on the side of the road."

:shock:

J/K Im actually thinking about getting one of those myself. I wonder how it would fit in a Rodeo. You could bolt some sort of a cup holder to the top of it I bet to hold your drinks.
I would think it would fit in a rodeo, but I don't have one to try it in. The thing makes a pretty comfortable arm rest too.

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
Now that is pretty cool!

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Stevew said:
But I'm a news photog (and reporter) and I to carry certain equipment ... mind control reciever conntected to George Soros etc).
I KNEW IT!

And to think everyone called me crazy... Now I just have to convince them of the reality of the top secret submarine under Alcatraz Island that the Bilderbergs use for their though control experiments on the Bay area population.

I heard if from Alex Jones, it MUST be true.

:lol:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.