Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a '88 Trooper. New thermostat and water pump. Engine does fine in the winter, but when it gets warm enough you need the air, the problem starts. It will run fine for a pretty good while after warming up to operating temp, but then, it starts creeping up, and won't stop. I would think it would start overheating immediately instead of taking several minutes of driving. At any rate, any suggestions? Thanks.

·
Registered
8,073 Posts
Probably a partially clogged radiator, just doesn't have the capacity needed in hot weather. You can try a flush, but probably need a new one.

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
I had the same problem with my 88. My car was over heating while I was sitting in traffic and the fan clutch seemed to be fine but when I changed the fan clutch the problem went away.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Your A/Cs condensor(another form of radiator, only for refrigerant) may be dirty as well. If it isn't then your cooling system is competing for cooler air 'cuz the a/c condensor gets 1st crack at the air. The space between the radiator and condensor can get crudded up and the only real way to tell is to pull the radiator. Check the front of the condensor as well.

Your radiator likely needs changing if it hasn't been done in the last 7-8 years.

I went through a similar situation awhile back. New CSF radiator resolved the problem.

Fan clutches provide more cooling a slower speeds. Once on the highway, you're more dependent on the rush of air coming thru the radiator. If the water pump isn't pushing the coolant sufficiently or the radiator is clogged, you'll overheat or run hotter once underway.

·
Registered
7,209 Posts
Warm the truck up and see if you can feel for cool spots in the radiator. If you find any either have it flushed or get a new radiator.

Joe

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
bigpoppax2 said:
....feel for cool spots in the radiator. If you find any either have it flushed or get a new radiator.
Joe
\

really? you've done this?

i'm surprised you could feel by hand that difference on the fin area to differentiate

·
Premium Member
5,577 Posts
I'll give another vote for a clogged or bad radiator. I replaced the radiator with a brand spanking new two-row radiator in my 1989 RS. I then spend 6 weeks replacing every other component in the cooling system (fan, clutch, water pump, hoses, thermostat x3, etc) and finally put in the nasty old radiator that I had removed and my problem went away. The new radiator wasn't up to spec. It would let the truck overheat on the highway. But a good aluminum two or even three row radiator and my bet is that it will solve your problem.

-Tad

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
New radiator. Problem solved.

It will still get a little warm at an idle with the AC on if it sits for a while(probably the fan clutch), but I can live with this for a while. It cools off instantly as soon as you start moving. I wish I had done this BEFORE the water pump. I don't want to have to do that pump thing again... :x

I'm just used to my Superduty. You cant leave it running forever with the AC on and it 100 degrees and in the sun. Stays cool as a cucumber...

Can I say "Superduty" on here? 8)

·
Registered
7,209 Posts
New radiator. Problem solved.
Great, that usually does it.

I wish I had done this BEFORE the water pump. I don't want to have to do that pump thing again...
Hopefully you did the timing belt as well, while you were in it that far.

really? you've done this?

i'm surprised you could feel by hand that difference on the fin area to differentiate
Yes sir. I could feel a much cooler spot than the rest of the radiator. Mine was clogged bad, and I could get my hand in there pretty good. This was on a 67 Mustang. The radiator was toast, clogged too bad to be flushed.

Joe

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.