Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been troubleshooting my coolant leak for a bit where my trooper would just dump all the coolant she had as soon as I would fill her up. I finally tracked it down to one of the coolant hoses on the left side of the engine is completely unplugged. Rubber throughout the hose looks good and all, seems as if it was just dislodged. My problem is I'm struggling to find any manuals online to see what it would entail to plug the end of the hose back in. It seems to attach between the engine and the firewall and I cant figure out how to see in there from the top, bottom, or wheel well.

Does anyone have any experience replacing this hose? and is it enough of a pain I should just take it to a shop? I'm an amateur and its getting cold out.

Thanks!

Automotive tire Tread Tire Synthetic rubber Motor vehicle
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Grey Hood Automotive exterior

·
Registered
738 Posts
This hose & the one next to it is for your heater core supply and return. The rubber hose simply slides onto the steel tube, then slide the clam on. its pretty straight forward repair

·
Registered
9,871 Posts
I'm going to take a wild shot and say that's one of your heater core hoses. You say "left side". Your pictures seem to show the RIGHT side (side is determined as if you were sitting in the vehicle facing forward - we could say passenger or driver side, but there are many on here in other countries with RHD.
Can you see the end of the hose? I had a '94 3.2 Trooper and the heater core had plastic nipples that the hoses hooked to. Those nipples became brittle with age and easily broke off. Finding replacements (or even a whole heater core) may be difficult. Note also that replacing any of this requires removal of the complete dash. Dennis

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm going to take a wild shot and say that's one of your heater core hoses. You say "left side". Your pictures seem to show the RIGHT side (side is determined as if you were sitting in the vehicle facing forward - we could say passenger or driver side, but there are many on here in other countries with RHD.
Can you see the end of the hose? I had a '94 3.2 Trooper and the heater core had plastic nipples that the hoses hooked to. Those nipples became brittle with age and easily broke off. Finding replacements (or even a whole heater core) may be difficult. Note also that replacing any of this requires removal of the complete dash. Dennis
You're absolutely right, my mistake. This is the passenger side of the engine. I was able to pull the hose out and look at the end of it (presumably the end that connects to the heater core, the engine side seems fine) I didn't see any plastic in the hose and the rubber looked pretty good. Would it still be a whole dash removal to attach the hose back on the nipple?

Would it be possible to just bypass the heater core and lose heat in the meantime?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
9,871 Posts
If the hose just came off the nipple, it shouldn't be a problem. First, try to look down in there and see if the nipple is there, okay, and hopefully NOT plastic. Next, if nt on the end of your hose, you will need a spring clamp (the pinch type). If it's missing, you could use one of the more easy to access ones and replace it with a regular radiator type clamp. The ones against th efirewall need to be spring type as it is almost impossible to get in there with a screwdriver or nut driver (ask me how I know). You will probably need a pair of long reach needle nose pliers to squeeze the clamp (why it needs to be a spring clamp). Good luck, hope this cures your leak. Dennis

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If the hose just came off the nipple, it shouldn't be a problem. First, try to look down in there and see if the nipple is there, okay, and hopefully NOT plastic. Next, if nt on the end of your hose, you will need a spring clamp (the pinch type). If it's missing, you could use one of the more easy to access ones and replace it with a regular radiator type clamp. The ones against th efirewall need to be spring type as it is almost impossible to get in there with a screwdriver or nut driver (ask me how I know). You will probably need a pair of long reach needle nose pliers to squeeze the clamp (why it needs to be a spring clamp). Good luck, hope this cures your leak. Dennis
Thanks again! What's the best place to try to see/access the nipple? I couldn't really see anything from the engine bay (though maybe was looking in the wrong place) Is top down the way?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks again! What's the best place to try to see/access the nipple? I couldn't really see anything from the engine bay (though maybe was looking in the wrong place) Is top down the way?
Yes, you can bypass the heater core very easily. I have a 94 3.2 V6 with the heater core bypass for more than 10 years. You can get a U hose from any auto parts stores. I don't remember what the inner diameter is though.
Motor vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive design Hood

1 - 7 of 7 Posts