Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im gonna build my own CAI .
Im being lazy right now and dont wann tear apart my intake to get the outside diameter of the MAF so I know what size cone to buy.
Anybody know?

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have already removed all the factory snorkesl from the factory airbox and I have nocticed alittle better throttle response.
I plan on changing the intake pipe that comes out of the throttle body and goes to the MAF from plastic to aluminum.
As we all know , plastic is not a good insulator and the aluminum will not allow the air to heat up as it passes .

·
Registered
894 Posts
tuner-automotive said:
I plan on changing the intake pipe that comes out of the throttle body and goes to the MAF from plastic to aluminum.
As we all know , plastic is not a good insulator and the aluminum will not allow the air to heat up as it passes .
This part of "we" knows that plastic is a much better insulator than highly conductive aluminum. For example that is why frying pans are made of aluminum (to conduct the heat) and the handles are wrapped in plastic (to greatly reduce heat conduction to the cook's hand).

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
Agreed. Aluminum is a better conductor than plastic. See for example http://www.glacierbay.com/Heatprop.asp

As is discussed in the article, in some applications, the reflective nature of aluminum will act as a radiant heat barrier works by reflecting radiant heat back toward the source. However, that shouldn't apply to an air intake.

·
Registered
35 Posts
i'm thinking about re-working my intake system - does anyone know what other trucks or suv's the trooper engines are in? isn't the 3.5 V6 made by chevy or someone? i bet there is a great cold air intake system on another vehicle out there - does anyone know?

my last set-up was throwing my check engine light and required a cleaning of the MAS. i was also getting terriable gas mileage. i would like a semi-enclosed box that pulls air from the fender similiar to the stock but with a cone filter - i think that would work well. regardless of the filter and pipe, if you are sucking in hot & dirty air that's not a good forumula for more power. hotter air = less horsepower. i think it's really important to draw air from the fenderwell like the OE design.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well all the ABD and Nuespeed and other European aftermarket makers are using it and there thoery does seem correct.
Im a VW enthusiast aswell and Im trying to take alittle from there to here.
I mean the 2.6L amigo has aprox. 130 hp , and the 2.0 Jetta/golf has 125hp.
They bolth have the same curb wieght, almost.

·
Registered
591 Posts
mbalgach said:
i'm thinking about re-working my intake system - does anyone know what other trucks or suv's the trooper engines are in? isn't the 3.5 V6 made by chevy or someone?... .
The isuzu 3.5L was used in the 1998+ trooper and acura SLX clone. Thats it.
G/luck
Joel

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.