Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Howdy everybody,

I've been a Trooper owner for a long time. On my second one ... well, I just bought another with an ARB bull bar recently, so I guess that makes three!

First one I owned I bought from my sister & brother-in-law in 2003 for $1000 as I needed a vehicle for working in Alaska. Their Trooper was struggling to make power but drove fine and was in great shape, and all I needed was a rig to run around town with. From Bend, OR to Juneau, AK, she made the drive but was hurting bad once I got there. At the end of that summer, I continued the drive to Anchorge where I invested another $1000 to get the motor fixed. The shop handed me an exhaust valve which had a crack that had eroded into a 1/8 pie wedge missing out of it. I guess it had been cracked for quite awhile??? The Trooper was now as strong as ever with all new valves and gave me 3 good years before I sold it to pursue another job back down in the Lower 48. I regretted not bringing it with me, and had always looked for a replacement, but nothing ever seemed to fit the bill.

IMG_0161.JPG

Only pic I could find of my first Trooper. My sister covering her ears off the departure end of ANC airport during a visit in 2004.

In 2012, I found a Trooper on Craigslist in Portland, OR that looked really nice ... A red 1988 2-door 4-cyl which was in excellent condition for 235,000 miles, except for a broken piston arm inside the engine. I wasn't a fan of red, nor the 2-door version (standard frame, not an RS), but since I had been looking for a LONG time for another Trooper to replace my first, I asked a buddy to go check it out for me. I was living in Montana already but went to Portland often enough. He knew my Trooper from AK and was happy to go check it out. He came back with rave reviews and stunning photos of this driveway queen and I decided to get it and put the extra cash in to have the engine pulled, rebuilt, and reinstalled all before I ever saw it. I drove it home 2 months later and could not have been happier!

My family and I use it as our camping rig, and although my wife was not a fan the first time she saw this "old, boxy beast", our first trip converted her immediately. Now anytime we want to venture out for a trip into the back country, it's in the Trooper!

I'm looking forwarded to sharing more and learning from all the other enthusiasts on this forum. That's it for now ...

Attachments

·
Registered
144 Posts
Welcome aboard! Your gonna fit right in. Nice looking truck! Gonna be nice seeing the new parts go on. Have a safe time on your travels.

·
Premium Member
4,350 Posts
Awesome. I'm stoked to see the progression.

Hit the "members ride" section.

Cheers
-Ian :blackeye:

·
Registered
213 Posts
Thanks for the warm welcome guys! I'm not normally a social media guy (no FaceBook, Twitter, etc.) but my "hobby" has turned more towards a passion in the past year. I'm enjoying my Trooper more and more each day (when I'm home) and it's starting to be a source of spending. All good, right!?!

Here are some pics what it looked like before I made the purchase ... The Driveway Queen, as the previous owner like to called it. Clean and sharp and in great condition, just not running. The paint is original and a good wash and wax brings out the original shine. And a correction to my first post, it was 2013 not 2012. Missed that on the re-read before I posted.

CL 1.jpg

CL 2.jpg

CL 3.jpg

CL 4.jpg

CL 5.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
213 Posts
One more ...

CL 6.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
213 Posts
The guy I bought it from had owned it for 19 years and it had 74,000 miles when he took ownership. He used it as a daily commuter and rarely, if ever, took it off road. As you could see from the pics, he babied this vehicle and aside from the inner destruction of the engine, the whole engine was well looked after. Very clean.

Photos my buddy took upon his inspection ...

IMG_0018.jpg

IMG_0024.jpg

IMG_0022.jpg

Added bonus ... because Troopers are notorious for having poorly manufactured wheel studs made of soft material and fine threads, he had all four wheels re-studded just a few years prior with new NAPA studs and chrome nuts. He also had most receipts for all the work ever done, which was again a bonus. The re-studding was a $900 upgrade!

Attachments

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.