Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We just picked it up today for $300, the cheapest we have found in the past 5 months we have been searching.
We are pretty excited about it. Here are some photos.

cheers
-Ian

·
Registered
774 Posts
When I was a kid my Dad bought a Gurman similar to your canoe we used it on many trips. He still has it to this day.

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
I've kind of been keeping my eyes peeled for one too. I like the idea of getting rid of my motor boat and going to something I can just strap to the roof of the trooper. Think I'll wait until winter and snag one up cheaper.

·
Premium Member
4,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We will take it out to my grandfathers place in henryville and drop it in his lake. He'll, pops has been wanting to get some fishing in with me. Two birds, one stone 8) . And the pups love it out there. Come on thursday :D

Cheers
-Ian

·
Registered
11,705 Posts
Very nice one. I'd probably need to have me a small trolling motor for backup. :D

·
Registered
6,404 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
11,705 Posts

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
shooter said:
stusvend said:
shooter said:
Very nice one. I'd probably need to have me a small trolling motor for backup. :D
I'd really like to get my hands on one of these. http://www.gheenoe.net/
Oh yeah, now you're talking.
A nice used set up usually goes for around 4 grand in my area but my pops recently scored one with a nice galvanized trailer and a Johnson 15 horse for $900 at auction, the old horse trader. He lives in FL though, boats at deals are pretty abundant down there.

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
Nice canoe. The old Grumman's are a little noisy compared to the newer plastic boats but that's not a huge thing. Great boat for that price for sure. You'll get a lot of use out of it.

·
Premium Member
4,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ours is a Lowe Line. We didn't get to take kit put this week, next week hopefully. I am sure it is noisy, but I do not mind. A few friends have plastic canoes and I am not to fond of them. Lus, if you damaged a plastic canoe, it would be tough to repair however I know a guy that has repaired Aluminum and fiberglass canoes.

I will post some photos when we get it wet.

Cheers
-Ian

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
We tend to think all old aluminum canoes are Grummans but there were a lot of manufacturers of aluminum canoes. Outacha, lowe, Grumman, Miche craft, and many more. I probably spelled them wrong. LOL. Most made good boats. The big problem with aluminum canoes for river folks like me is the keel. They are made of 2 halves seamed in the middle with a keel. This can catch on rocks ect and cause a capsize. Aluminum itself sticks to rocks more than it slides. That's why I coated my aluminum bassboat with epoxy on the bottom.

As far as repair aluminum can be fixed with a pop-rivit gun, beer can and some rtv in many cases. Fiberglass will not hold up in shallow, rocky rivers. That why you mainly see composite boats on lakes. The plastic boats like royalex and the cross-link 3 of my Disco is just plain tough and near impossible to damage badly. It can be repaired but will probably never need it. The plastic boats will slide on rocks all day long. I could take either of my boats and drive over them with the trooper and probably wouldn't do serious damage. Just get inside and kick the dents back out. That was one of the original Old Town Discovery ads!

Bottom line is all boats are great. Get out and enjoy it. Nothing quite so much fun as simple messing around in boats!

Ian back when I was a kid in your part of the world we used to put in a friends canoe up by 12 mile island and float downstream and take out at foot of spring street in Jeff. Or upsteam by our house. We would stop at where 14 mile creek runs into the Ohio. There is the remains of an old 1920s amusement park there inside the Powder plant property. I can't remember the name of it right now. Al Capone used to have a cabin there. Cool place to explore after the leaves have fallen. I know that part of the river is crazy now with the new barge terminal. Used to be mostly marina's there.
It's called rose island.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rose_Islan ... nt_park%29

·
Registered
6,257 Posts
Is that an S2000 I see?

·
Premium Member
4,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Med!c said:
Is that an S2000 I see?
It is. That thing gets me in so much trouble. That is why I stick to the Trooper :wink: It is a 2001 and the top has tears. She needs to paint it too. It took a deer quite well two years ago, I had to replace the passenger side mirror and there just minor scratches, that is all. He T-boned me. :shock: and I had never heard Carol scream like that before or since.

cheers
-Ian :blackeye:

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Nice score on the canoe. That thing looks like it will hold enough gear for a year long expedition. :lol:

·
Premium Member
4,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
imamonstertruck said:
I thought that picture looked familiar. This is from a trip we took a couple of years ago.

·
Premium Member
4,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Love it! :D

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
Ian, How long is your canoe? Man that's a big boat. Hangs off both ends of the truck a long ways. It sure looks longer than mine and it's 17'4".

1 - 20 of 29 Posts