Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright here is the deal. I have a T42 Think Pad, a cable modem and a wireless router (Linksys) at home. Up until a couple of weeks ago I was able to get into the following website (message forum) with no problems:

http://p198.ezboard.com/blovebugfans

But now I can't. I'm running Zone Alarm too, and I turned that off and tried to enter the website and still no dice.

I work at a University that has a bunch of wireless access points. So with my T42 I logged on and was able to get to the message board no problem at all.

Any ideas? (-1. They are blocking my IP address from home?; 2. My router is blocking it some how?)

·
Registered
109 Posts
When is the last time you rebooted both your modem and router? Do this:

1. Pull power from both
2. Wait 30sec
3. Power them up in sequence - modem first (let it come up completely)
4. The router second.

What model is the Linksys and what is the firmware version you are using? Sometimes the registers on the modems get full and they start acting weird. Let me know what happens and we'll go from there.

-- Shon

·
Premium Member
5,577 Posts
The first thing to check is what the problem really is.

Can you get dns (http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/D/DNS.html) resolution on that website from home? You can check it easily by starting a command shell (dos window) and trying to ping the site. For instance "ping www.planetisuzoo.com" - the IP address that it is pinging (or trying to ping) will show up if your dns is working properly.

Some servers will allow you to ping them. Try that first. If you can ping it, that's a good sign. If you can't, try to ping it from the working connection. (the site admin may have disabled ping responses).

Next step is to try to connect to the web server daemon (software) that is listening on that server. To do that, from the same command shell type "telnet xxxx 80" where xxxx is the site in question. If it sits there saying "connecting to..." or fails, then it is a problem either with the remote site blocking your web connections, or something locally blocking them (your ISP, your router, etc). If the screen goes blank, type "GET /" and you should see the contents of the web page scroll by. That's a good sign.

Let us know what you find.

-Tad

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.