Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm finally looking to pain the hood scoop I have! I was looking online at paint stores to get a color code match of my truck's paint. I believe it is Moonmist Grey Mica, however the samples they have on all the sites look A LOT lighter than my color.. Anyone have any advice?

·
Registered
677 Posts
Don't be fooled by on line color samples. Your computer shows what the coding tells it to and its different for everyone depending of their monitor. Ask the seller to send you some actual pint chips (samples) and also be aware that the samples come on white paper, so will look different if you have a dark primer on the rig.

Pantone makes colors for many surfaces and their web code for a medium grey color is 8e908f. I'll bet that code shows on screen in many different shades.

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
Also it's quite likely that the factory paint code will not match 100% accurately because your paint has most likely faded some by now.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the quick replies guys.. I have a couple of bodyshops around me.. Do you think they would have the ability to scan my paint and match it w/ fading in mind? It's probably going to be pricey but if it didn't match exactly it would bother me :roll:

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
i went to levine's autoparts, don't know if they have one in your area Randy, they mixed a spray can for me, the match was perfect, i also got an can of clear coat, the whole thing wasn't more than $30, if there's no levine's up your way any decent auto paint supply should be able to mix you an rattle can.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts

·
Registered
677 Posts
I know this may sound strange, but for years we would paint the tops of the engine hoods on the big rigs with a flat grey or semi-flat black color. It helped reduce glare from a nice shiny paint job coming through the windshield on a sunny day. I liked it so much that I did the same thing to the cowl induction scoop of a 1970 Chevy El Camino SS I used to own. That large semi-flat black scoop on a Bamboo Yellow car looked really nice IMO.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Its very hard to match paint...Sometimes under the sun one part of the car might look lighter and the rest darker but in the shade looks the same color, or in the sun it looks all the same but under the shade it might look different...It can be done but man it take time to make it right

·
Registered
555 Posts
TrooperBeast00 said:
thanks for the quick replies guys.. I have a couple of bodyshops around me.. Do you think they would have the ability to scan my paint and match it w/ fading in mind? It's probably going to be pricey but if it didn't match exactly it would bother me :roll:
yes,they have the ability. Whether they will sell you the paint is another story. They certainly will be able to paint it for you though,and at the very least you should be able to save some cash by doing the prep work.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.